• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Any drone owners in here

I know Bert has a DJI drone, but don't know which model. Seems like a price point worth trying to get your feet wet. I had thought about getting one to better view rural comps, but given laws and restrictions/licensing for commercial use, don't really see much value.
I have the good old Phanom IV Pro. A bit big, but has good picture quality and gets the job done.
Saw this drone bundle at Sam's Club and thinking about getting it though I've never owned one before. I want 4k and ease of use sub $300 if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. This bundle is $279 and links to your phone to attach to the remote to see what it sees I don't need goggles for my intended use.

View attachment 89009

Yes, it is cheap. But you need obstacle avoidance. You never know what kind of house you are going to have to photograph - and the associated obstacles. You don't want to be flying the drone with someone (an owner or agent) around that sees your drone bump into something, as harmless as it might be. You know, you could be flying around some big tree and lose sight of it just long enough to have it hit a hidden branch. And if some agents see that, they will go into shock. Yes, they will. You may have damaged the bark ....

DJI offers several drones with good obstacle-avoidance capabilities. Some of their top models in this regard include:
  1. DJI Mavic 3 series: These drones feature omnidirectional obstacle sensing, using multiple vision sensors to detect obstacles in all directions.
  2. DJI Air 2S: Equipped with DJI's Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS) 4.0, it can autonomously avoid obstacles during flight.
  3. DJI Mini 3 Pro: Despite its compact size, it offers tri-directional obstacle sensing (forward, backward, and downward).
  4. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0: Features a 5-direction obstacle sensing system.
  5. DJI Avata: While designed for FPV (First Person View) flying, it includes a built-in propeller guard and downward-facing sensors for obstacle avoidance.
(I still have the good old DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, second reincarnation). I did try a Costco DJI Mini a couple of years ago. -- But for the above reason, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

If you crash your drone, it is certainly not the end of the world --- but it is not a good idea. Also, YOU WILL have nut cases on occasion come around when you are flying the drone over the subject and start scolding you not to fly your drone over their house -- as if they know the laws pertaining to drones, which even the smartest don't really know. Get in the habit of setting out markers for your "helicopter landing site", and put on a bright-colored vest that says something like "Do Not Disturb Pilot While Drone Is In Flight". And of course, you should get a license.

Seriously, I know a couple guys with drones and being attacked by birds can be a problem...especially hawks. And if you use them for business, you need to get a permit from the gov'ment
I rolled up on a farm to see a dozen eagles in the field one afternoon. Nope... not putting it in the air today.

DJI offers several drones with good obstacle-avoidance capabilities. Some of their top models in this regard include:
  1. DJI Mavic 3 series: These drones feature omnidirectional obstacle sensing, using multiple vision sensors to detect obstacles in all directions.
  2. DJI Air 2S: Equipped with DJI's Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS) 4.0, it can autonomously avoid obstacles during flight.
  3. DJI Mini 3 Pro: Despite its compact size, it offers tri-directional obstacle sensing (forward, backward, and downward).
  4. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0: Features a 5-direction obstacle sensing system.
  5. DJI Avata: While designed for FPV (First Person View) flying, it includes a built-in propeller guard and downward-facing sensors for obstacle avoidance.
(I still have the good old DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, second reincarnation). I did try a Costco DJI Mini a couple of years ago. -- But for the above reason, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.
Some other observations I noted... The Phantom 3/4 Pro are pretty large and not as fun to tote around, as you mentioned, but they were nice and super stable in higher wind. That's ultimately the reason I didn't just go with a mini when it was time to upgrade, as they have a little harder time stabilizing in higher wind. The Air 2S was cheaper than what the Phantom Pro models were when new, and much less than the Mavic line, but was stable in 25-30mph wind gusts, can fly faster (around 40-44mph in sport mode and with the wind) and had longer flight time (around 30-32min, I think). Soon as I'm over trees and powerlines, it goes to sport mode to get around faster, although it does turn off obstacle-avoidance sensors. Isn't a big deal as once you're up 100-150ft above ground level, there isn't anything but manned aircraft or maybe birds to worry about.

Had some folks standing in my field under a power line. Turned out to be engineers from Tulsa who were surveying the powerline with a drone. The drone was huge compared to what I was used to. Probably 4' or 5' wide. They towed a small trailer with a box for the drone. They said they ran just above the wires and the data was being transmitted to engineers back in Tulsa who were inspecting the lines for frayed places. They were having to follow the drone closely because the weather was getting foggy. They said this was their last run because of the fog and they were calling it a day.

I rolled up on a farm to see a dozen eagles in the field one afternoon. Nope... not putting it in the air today.
yeah, it wasn't too long ago that a big owl attacked going to the parking lot to get in his cars. Those birds kill with the talons. They hit the target and sink those talons quick. That guy that the owl hit in the head almost bled to death.

They will kill a poisonous snake the same way. They sink those talons in the head.

Had some folks standing in my field under a power line. Turned out to be engineers from Tulsa who were surveying the powerline with a drone.
Probably a lot cheaper than using a helicopter. My FIL flew choppers in the Nat Guard and after he retired he flew the Bell 407 for one of the local tv stations. On the side he'd contract with Duke Energy to fly power line checking for damage. The 407 cost somewhere near $2k/hour to fly. It could cover quite a bit of ground but I'm thinking the drones, including the pilots, cost a small fraction of that. I think the tv station sold the chopper recently and are now using drones too.

Reactions: Zoe
Saw this drone bundle at Sam's Club and thinking about getting it though I've never owned one before. I want 4k and ease of use sub $300 if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. This bundle is $279 and links to your phone to attach to the remote to see what it sees I don't need goggles for my intended use.

View attachment 89009
The restrictions on use seem to be problematic. Need property owner permission to fly over their property, many areas do not permit use>>>

The restrictions on use seem to be problematic. Need property owner permission to fly over their property
While local jurisdictions could enforce laws like that, maybe under the "right to privacy" such that you can't hover in somebody's yard outside their window, the US Govmt has declared sovereignty over US airspace, and has set the FAA in place to make regulations. FAA has certain areas restricted, but the ones I typically run into are small to regional airports. If they're small enough, they aren't even regulated airspace. In those situations, if I'm going to be flying close, I'll contact the airport and let them know how close and for how long I'll be flying. Generally, you don't need permission to fly over someone's property, same as manned aircraft and airliners don't call you to ask if they can fly over your house. That being said, I try to stay over the subject only and request permission to be courteous and avoid conflict.

While local jurisdictions could enforce laws like that, maybe under the "right to privacy" such that you can't hover in somebody's yard outside their window, the US Govmt has declared sovereignty over US airspace, and has set the FAA in place to make regulations. FAA has certain areas restricted, but the ones I typically run into are small to regional airports. If they're small enough, they aren't even regulated airspace. In those situations, if I'm going to be flying close, I'll contact the airport and let them know how close and for how long I'll be flying. Generally, you don't need permission to fly over someone's property, same as manned aircraft and airliners don't call you to ask if they can fly over your house. That being said, I try to stay over the subject only and request permission to be courteous and avoid conflict.

Actually, the laws around here (SF Bay Area) have become more liberal with time. Yes - you do have to be careful around the airports. You always have to be cautious, know the laws, and basically know the local jurisdictions where unusual restrictions apply. --- But, I would say that if you have a job to do and a license, as long as you check your iPhone airspace app (e.g. AirHub Portal) for any current (e.g. special event) restrictions, and get permissions where necessary, you should be OK. At least things are not as bad as five years ago. -- Also, as already said, every local jurisdiction has potential restrictions - especially areas where movies are often made or tourist areas.

All in all - not bad.

I use "AirHub Portal" at

https://portal.airspacelink.com/

to check on the height requirements and get permission. It is free.

I never thought about drones.
For my daughter's wedding, can a drone be flown above and videotape the ceremony for like 30 minutes.
Otherwise, I was planning to go up near the roof and leave a video camera up there to record the event.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back