• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Apex V6 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've probably made your decisions by now, but for what its worth I think the 'flavor' of the add is good. Sure it may be a little light and playful to be taken too seriously, but its also not 'in your face' you need to buy this new product. I think it struck a good balance. In some ways it had a little bit of an Apple ad feel to me.

In regards to the product. It looks great. How much has changed underneath? I've had some luck getting V5 to work in Linux with CrossOver office. If I make a change in my appraisal software, I may need to purchase a new sketcher program. (I may purchase anyway, just so my sketches are all the same if i change software in the future). So I was wondering if you have done any testing or if you have any idea of how well v6 might work with WINE/CrossOver Office on Linux? Should I expect it to work similar to v5 or is it a ground up build with a new language? If I do find v6 doesn't work for me, could I purchase the older v5 later after the release of v6?
 
Fargo 1,

Sorry for the delay in replying (was out of the office), but thanks for the feedback! I'm sure that Robert has taken the comments from various sources into account for the first "real" video which should be coming soon...

I'm not sure about the compatibility of Av6 within WINE, but I'll ask around and let you know. As far as how it works, one of the primary missions was to not alienate former Apex users - it needs to support their most common methods, etc. - but we also added new stuff, new methods for doing things that are more contemporary & more efficient. The core engines are completely different. Av5 was build on code that was nearing 15 (or more?) years old and thus had a lot of baggage, whereas Av6 is much, much newer. That said, the core dot.net engine has been used for many years in other products, so it's not brand new either - Av6 is just the first program we've released mainstream to fee appraisers here in the US that uses this engine. I'm not sure whether I answered your question, so if not, ask away and I'll try to answer as best I can without it being a like a sales pitch. I'm usually (too) dry and shy away from sales stuff, but I don't have a problem explaining features, etc. Of course, a few videos made by Robert and/or sitting in on a free webinar might be the most informative (?)


Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
+Apex Software+

/end/
 
The new software looks great in the videos. As I mentioned in a PM, .NET software can run on linux and mac if it was designed from the start to be cross platform compatible. See the http://www.mono-project.com/ for more details. However, if it relies on other Windows features then its a hit or miss deal using WINE. Microsoft has opened up the server side of .NET to run on Linux and Macs, but they have kept something called 'Windows Forms' closed source and only available for Windows. I'm not sure how this will effect things. My hope is that more .NET programs will be ported to Linux and Mac.
 
Thanks for the PM - Let's see what we can do ;-)


-Randall Garrett-
+Apex Software+

/end/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top