• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Business for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I received a post card that was an advertisement for an appraisal business.

Located in the SF Bay Area, revenue of $241k in 2012, asking price is $175k.
The appraisal business includes residential, commercial, industrial, and undeveloped land.

I had heard that 1x annual gross revenues was a fair price.

175k for a rolodex of clients?

How much land do you get? :P

175k for a rolodex of clients?

That was my first thought. Wonder if you'd also get several 5 year old lap tops, a dozen DC-40 digital cameras, and a whiny secretary to boot?

There is never any guarantee that clients will stay. It always sounds like a risky investment.

$241k? That is a bunch or appraisals at $250 per.

If you already worked there, had the same ethics, quality, and service ideals as the current owner, it might be worth something. Otherwise, you may as well buy some Zaio. Bitcoin probably makes as much sense.

If I sold my business-for about three times that much...lol. My clients would not have my name to order appraisals and just go to the next name on their list.

There are way too many variables to begin to guesstimate what it may be worth. At that level of income, I'm assuming it's a small firm, and I'd assume that half the gross income would vanish when the company transfers. Then discount from there.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a small firm with money up front, unless its a huge discount. I'd do something like buy the phone line and pay the prior owner some percentage of the amount of work that comes in for some predefined period of time.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a small firm with money up front, unless its a huge discount. I'd do something like buy the phone line and pay the prior owner some percentage of the amount of work that comes in for some predefined period of time.

I agree with you.

And, Rex... you I think you are right as well. If one had been part of the firm and could really judge all the components, then it may be worthwhile.

The other parts of the advertisement (remember, this was on a post card) said that owner-financing is available and the owner would consider on staying on to ensure a smooth transition.

I think the real truth is that a small or one-person appraisal shop has little if any resale value; unless it is one of just a few firms in a relatively rural area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back