• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Education

Drop these courses. This is Dying profession. You will thank Me in the end. I told my own Daughter to go nowhere near the The Valuation space
Hey CommonSense, Thanks for the comment.

Is the appraisal profession that bad in Maryland?

I wish you good luck in your venture. I've loved my journey in the profession, good and bad. Your opportunities are narrowing if you go mainstream. Consider specialization and aligning yourself with that type of supervisor. Even public routes are excellent choices, like an assessor or highways department. Something that would build a base where there are few competitors. Many of these alternative career paths need new blood. They generally have a lower entry income threshold but are great for creating the base.

Pick your path or allow someone else (mainstream) to pick it for you. Your selection of a supervisor is the most important decision of your career.
Hi Raven59, thanks for the comment.

Are you saying that you recommend getting your start at an assessors office or highway department before branching out on your own?

Hi Raven59, thanks for the comment.

Are you saying that you recommend getting your start at an assessors office or highway department before branching out on your own?
Yes, but there are other possibilities. Many of these options will pay for education and training. These paths tend to be less volatile than those in the lending environment. Building a good toolbox will give you viable options down the road. Specializing generally costs money and time, so let someone else help pay the bill.

I just started my appraisal training courses at a local junior college here in CA. Anyone else in this forum doing the same?
Become a truck driver instead.....you're going to be saddled primarily to AMC's for GSE work. When it's been as slow as it has been lately, the AMC's take a hefty cut of "your fee". This is after finding a mentor for your 2,000 log hours (not sure if that has changed or not, check with BREA). The appraisal profession is in great flux right now and even though there's always been an air of "we'll be replaced by AVM's", this time....it really seems to be we're getting kicked to the curb. It used to be a great gig though.

Right now, I'm not on any AMC lists.....I can't stand the race to the bottom with lowest fee just to get the gig, the endless stips, the harassment to turn in the report before it's due.

Sorry for the bad news. Truck driver, electrician, RN, Accountant....anything but this....

Drop these courses. This is Dying profession. You will thank Me in the end. I told my own Daughter to go nowhere near the The Valuation space

These are the types of responses you'll have to put up with when you post questions here.

Hey CommonSense, Thanks for the comment.

Is the appraisal profession that bad in Maryland?

No--probably for him, but no, not for me. Record year in 2023, which followed a record year in 2022, which followed a record year in 2021. 2024 is humming along, but probably not gonna beat 2023.

Gross income is more informative than saying "record year"....

The trick is net, not gross. I used to do alot of govt type work and the job gross was wonderful but it was terrible in between completion and check time. Glad you still doing good in 2024.

Then provide net....
Help the newbie out....

75/25. Last half career has not changed.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back