• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal for relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Cal RealEstate

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I just received a request to appraise my mother in law's house can I do it and disclose or do I have to decline the order?

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Can you-yes; SHOULD you-only you can decide but I would never appraise a relative's house, especially my in-laws!

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
USPAP says you can if you disclose, but depending on the client and intended use they may not like it.

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I wouldn't even consider it. The ramifications could be too great if it were to ever come back and could you really justify being impartial.

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
One word for you.... RUN!!!!!!!!!! It's not worth the risk or the grief you'll encounter if everything doesn't go just right. i was placed in a similar situation recently and politlely declined due to "being backlogged"

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
You cannot appraise a property to which you have an interest in. By "interest" it is generally understood as being a financial stake. You can appraise the property and disclose, as long as you think you will remain objective. I appraised my sister's house and I remained totally objective. I in no way would want to see anyone upside in a loan by giving an inflated report, much less my sister.

The interesting question is, if you own a condominium, or a house in a PUD, where you all own a percentage of the common elements, can you appraise a neighbor's house with deeded ownership in the same common elements youR property has ownership in? Technically, you share an interest in the same property that the house you are appraising does, so you are including value for a piece of property you have a financing interest in.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
... Or, can the appraiser who sits on the HOA Board of Directors appraise a condo unit in that development???

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
" I hereby certify I have no personal current or prospective interest in the real property that is the subject of this appraisal assignment, nor in the parties involved - EXCEPT my Mother-in-Law, the owner, because I reallllllly hate her cooking - so if the appraised value helps her sell her house she won't have to move in with ME ". :huh:

Unwise!!!!!!

Last edited:

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I just received a request to appraise my mother in law's house can I do it and disclose or do I have to decline the order?

What does your gut tell you....if you feel that you have to ask then you already know the answer..

I would be honest and tell who ever ordered the appraisal that you are related to the owner of the subject and you cannot do this report. Most of the time the client will appraeciate the honesty...heck we all have relatives, of some kind, including those riding brooms:icon_mrgreen: don't we??

John Oesterle CA

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
That seems to be a slight conflict of interests.

As a matter of fact I think appraisers should not be allowed to appraise homes within a couple of miles of their residence or property - maybe not even in the same high school district because their appraisals could easily impact their own property value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks