• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are Frankenhouse Owners The Most Obtuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Inspected a Frankenhouse today. Tag-along owner. Trying to Re-fi. Had his house on and off (mostly on) the market since '05. Has RAISED the asking price 20% while the market has fallen 30% without doing any additional upgrading, which is fine because this 50 year old house has its fair share of extra, not reflected in public record, appendages. Cant figure out why all the other appraisers were able to lump the elevated deck converted into a sun room with the musty drywalled off room created on the underside with no inside entrance into GLA so they could compare his house with a modern 3200 sf home
.:fiddle:

The real treat was when he showed us the old appraisal report. Nine...... count them NINE gridded comps. All at least a thousand feet bigger and 25 years newer. To help close the gap he valued the subject's 40 year old shop converted into a in-law quarter at about twice the per foot rate that he valued the main house GLA at. The adjusted comp prices ranged over about 25% Man it would have been fun to have that as a review appraisal. :new_2gunsfiring_v1::new_2gunsfiring_v1::new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
The real treat was when he showed us the old appraisal report. Nine...... count them NINE gridded comps. All at least a thousand feet bigger and 25 years newer. To help close the gap he valued the subject's 40 year old shop converted into a in-law quarter at about twice the per foot rate that he valued the main house GLA at.
Creative appraising will get you the requested value every time.

As to the Fankenhouse, we don't have any up here but the same could be said for any outdated design with non-typical floor plan owned by someone who thinks that old or unique creates value by itself. That happens all over the place.

BTW, are the glasses used to drink beer in a Frankenhouse really called Frankensteins? :rof:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Always grid the subject as a comp in these scenarios.:unsure:

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
The real treat was when he showed us the old appraisal report. Nine...... count them NINE gridded comps. All at least a thousand feet bigger and 25 years newer. To help close the gap he valued the subject's 40 year old shop converted into a in-law quarter at about twice the per foot rate that he valued the main house GLA at. The adjusted comp prices ranged over about 25% Man it would have been fun to have that as a review appraisal. :new_2gunsfiring_v1::new_2gunsfiring_v1::new_2gunsfiring_v1:

If I were a lawyer contesting this appraisal in a court of law I would present the original appraisal as my only evidence.

There are some creative methods with which appraisers use to justify a value. Using 9 sales that lack any comparative qualities only serves to prove the opposite of what the original appraiser intended. Not only is this person unethical, but an idiot to boot. Add 100 sales to the appraisal. Sheer numbers alone doesn't support an opinion. On the contrary, this appraiser proved there was no support for his/her opinion.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
I think the do-it-yourselfers that add square footage are more obtuse than others. They are so proud of making it bigger and so sure they own a mansion.

George Ellerman

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Creative appraising will get you the requested value every time.

As to the Fankenhouse, we don't have any up here but the same could be said for any outdated design with non-typical floor plan owned by someone who thinks that old or unique creates value by itself. That happens all over the place.

BTW, are the glasses used to drink beer in a Frankenhouse really called Frankensteins? :rof:
My god it's the Frankenhouse!!! Villagers get your torches!!

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Frankenhouse. :laugh:

I guess I've seen a few. :leeann2:

Welcome to the world of telling it like it is and killing deals. :peace:

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
What, no pictures? :shrug:

It wasn't one of those one's that looks bad. The did a real passable job of turning a 1960's Rambler into a reasonably modern'ish house of twice the size. But its got just enough funky'ness, wasteful hallways, and older style features that it will never pass muster for the kind of buyer that's got the coin to pay what they're asking.

But I hate to disappoint so I'll post this picture of a frankenhouse I stumbled across a couple weeks ago.

cc94dfab-df52-4b8d-b838-b3186b693bf2_0fbcabea-f8fe-4bfe-b65a-a0f1b222e74a_static_0_0_2008-06-03_1859.png

067479c7-14fe-4b4b-b4ad-5b76c241487b_0fbcabea-f8fe-4bfe-b65a-a0f1b222e74a_static_0_0_2008-06-03_1900.png

That there beast is in a 40 year old tract neighborhood of 1200 sf 3/2s. I'd love to inspect that one. I bet 10 or 12 feet inside that front wall somewhere there's a front door separating a living room from another living room.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
That there beast is in a 40 year old tract neighborhood of 1200 sf 3/2s. I'd love to inspect that one. I bet 10 or 12 feet inside that front wall somewhere there's a front door separating a living room from another living room.

Gross overimprovement at best.
Illegally splitting it into units does not help the PITA factor. :leeann:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks