• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are we required to obtain permits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NAR doesn't care about permits any more than the NRA.
 
LOL - I hadn't looked through one of these cut and paste building permit threads in some time. Now I remember why...:ohmy:
 
I suggest that a background check is required before checking for the issuance of permits.

All paperwork must be in multi color per the Joesph's jacket section of USPAP, and what ever local municipality is in charge of background checks, permits, and jackets.
 
We still don't need no stinking permits. :new_all_coholic:
 
The Topic of this thread is an apparently illegal finished basement in a municipality where building permits and likely a Certificate of Occupancy/Completion/Municipal Compliance is required. Thanks for the post. See Post #1.

First of all, I suppose I should apologize for my offending off topic post. Second, Mike, out of your 47 posts in this thread, I counted approximately 4 that were on topic although I admit I could be off by a few...they were starting to run together.
Third, this quote doesn't seem to make sense to me after reading the OP's 5 posts. As far as I can tell, she never says the basement is illegal. She says the basement is professionally finished and conforming to the area; and her client is requesting her to verify the proper permitting was completed.
Perhaps this thread has long been taken off topic and off track?
 
First of all, I suppose I should apologize for my offending off topic post. Second, Mike, out of your 47 posts in this thread, I counted approximately 4 that were on topic although I admit I could be off by a few...they were starting to run together.
Third, this quote doesn't seem to make sense to me after reading the OP's 5 posts. As far as I can tell, she never says the basement is illegal. She says the basement is professionally finished and conforming to the area; and her client is requesting her to verify the proper permitting was completed.
Perhaps this thread has long been taken off topic and off track?

To the contrary, all 47 posts are directly relevant to OP's 5 Posts #1, 7, 10, 29, and 78 and/or direct replies to questions or assertions re the same Topic issue by participants in the thread discussion.

"I have been told by many of my peers as well as the gentleman I trained with that we are not trained in this area and it is not part of our scope of work to become the permit police, etc."

Client requests for confirmation of valid permits/improvements, in or subsequent to delivery of a completed report, which:

a. are part of the SOW for the Ops assignment, and
b. are typically the result of client desk or field review of completed appraisal reports and municipal records (and/or prior appraisals) which directly contradict assertions and/or unsupported opinions in appraisal reports i.e. "Legal, As-is".
 
Last edited:
This one has run it's course, 21 pages is enough.

Closed, do not reopen in a new thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top