• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AZ Trainee Education recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianG

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Hello, fellow appraisers,

A friend in AZ wants to become a trainee. He's got a mentor but looking for a school.
I learned with Georgia MLS Training education (back in 2017) and I thought it was good.
I remember the whole thing was about $650.
Now he's asking me about education but I only know about that school in Georgia. I wouldn't recommend that one, as it is probably (to a certain extent) tailored to GA.
On this page, https://www.asreb.com/appraisal/how-to-become/, I found info on forms and fees, but not e-classes.
For McKissock, it says the basic package is about $900
I see this one is about $600: https://partners.mbitiontolearn.com/real-estate/arizona/appraisal/new-license
I'm sure there are more.
Can you recommend me some more e-classes? (since everyone has to to QE).
I think I can safely assume that if the QE classes are good, the Trainee class will be, too.
Also, how was the experience (would you recommend it or not)
Thanks a lot!

Reactions: RCA
I have a trainee and she is required to take Appraisal Institute courses, in person. Taking these classes on-line is simply not the same as taking them in person. Choosing an educator because of price is foolish. This is supposed to be a career that can earn one a lot of money in the future and the difference of $300 in fees should not be a consideration.

The pass rate for the state test is about 60%. There are three possible reasons for this. One would be taking education from bad providers, one would be having a lousy mentor and one would be the trainee putting in minimal effort.

I have a trainee and she has taken all of her courses through McKissock. They have a package of classes. Classes online and the exams are proctored and in person. Its kind of expensive, but I think they all are. How you take your course work will depend on what your state requires.

I have a trainee and she is required to take Appraisal Institute courses, in person. Taking these classes on-line is simply not the same as taking them in person. Choosing an educator because of price is foolish. This is supposed to be a career that can earn one a lot of money in the future and the difference of $300 in fees should not be a consideration.

The pass rate for the state test is about 60%. There are three possible reasons for this. One would be taking education from bad providers, one would be having a lousy mentor and one would be the trainee putting in minimal effort.
How can a state require courses be through a specific provider? Is no other provider approved? And how can they require they be in person? Maybe via video? My trainee could not find in person classes as they have all gone online. FYI McKissock has a "Get your license" package for Michigan. Its all what you put into it.

Hello, fellow appraisers,

A friend in AZ wants to become a trainee. He's got a mentor but looking for a school.
I learned with Georgia MLS Training education (back in 2017) and I thought it was good.
I remember the whole thing was about $650.
Now he's asking me about education but I only know about that school in Georgia. I wouldn't recommend that one, as it is probably (to a certain extent) tailored to GA.
On this page, https://www.asreb.com/appraisal/how-to-become/, I found info on forms and fees, but not e-classes.
For McKissock, it says the basic package is about $900
I see this one is about $600: https://partners.mbitiontolearn.com/real-estate/arizona/appraisal/new-license
I'm sure there are more.
Can you recommend me some more e-classes? (since everyone has to to QE).
I think I can safely assume that if the QE classes are good, the Trainee class will be, too.
Also, how was the experience (would you recommend it or not)
Thanks a lot!
McKissock has a "get your license" package as does Appraisal Institute. McKissock is cheaper, and both are online. I am sure there are other providers. They key thing to remember is you get out of it what you put into it. Also I recommend a prep course for the exam. Look to the forum for a good prep course. The courses are approved by your state licensing board, so they all meet minimum requirements. My assistant took the Mckissock course. I think it was over $1000.

How can a state require courses be through a specific provider? Is no other provider approved? And how can they require they be in person? Maybe via video? My trainee could not find in person classes as they have all gone online. FYI McKissock has a "Get your license" package for Michigan. Its all what you put into it.
They can't. I think the supervisor required this, not the state.

Thanks for the reply.
I thought there aren't many classes in person these days.
I'll let him know about Appraisal Institute courses.
You're right, choosing a course because of price is foolish. But it is one criteria to consider.

Unsure how much I learned in those initial classes. Like most things once you start actually doing the job, its a whole different ballgame. Take a bunch of theory classes and still have no clue how to appraise a home, do an inspection or write a report. McCissock is fine and ASREB is fine also. Staying awake is the main challenge but hopefully the trainee will learn and become proficient and credible.

It depends on the person. Online is often more difficult; but really quite possibly better. McKissock has some really good bargains. You can get unlimited courses through one of their programs for I think about $300/year. If you are dealing with AI designation, then you have to take their (AI) courses.

Take my advice, you don't need designation. It's not going to be that important for residential. You need skill sets. And the skill sets you need are also transferable to other professions.

1. Take programming courses. C# or Python are the best languages.
2. Date courses in data mining, statistics and math as needed.
3. Pick up GIS skills.
4. Pick up database skills.

The reality is, just go for hard skill sets. If you are in a position to get a designation, that is fine, but think twice otherwise. There are plenty of very good appraisers around who never bothered.

I would recommend trying to find a master's degree program that has the qualify education requirements integrated in the program. I believe Texas a&m had one and perhaps other universities. If the appraisal career path doesn't work out for you at least you would have a master's degree in real estate.

Reactions: RCA
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back