• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Benefits for Certified Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I once worked for an appraiser who ran a really nice operation. A nice office in a good location. All of the data we could use, plenty of support staff, all photo expences paid, blue cross, vacation pay and a 50% fee split with a $150. per week draw for the lean times (this was almost 20 years ago). Unfortunately my employer went bankrupt.

wade3333

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
TC, you said this was boom time, In So Ga. mine has slowed down over 50% in the last few weeks. In my part of the world it is going to be some slow riding and sad singing for a while. I hope yours continues, but I have had 6 excellent years, and now it is transfer time, fron good to fair WAde

aprazer

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
The jobs with benefits like you are looking for are out there-but there are very few. Some fee shops will give basic benefits, but they of course require that you contibute a significant amount.

About ten years ago I was in your position, and just did not want to work for a fee shop anymore due to the benefits and having no future in someone elses business.
The answer I came up with was to look for a staff position. This leaves two choices-bank staff or a larger appraisal company. I tried both. Both offered substantial benefit packages. The bank job did not work out-but don't rule it out for you. These can be pretty decent. There are guys I worked with who are still at that bank, and that was ten years ago.

I have had staff jobs since then. My current split is under 50%, but I get extensive benefits(medical,dental, insurance, 401K) for me AND my family. The only costs I have are my equipment. They pick up all data costs as well as my phone bill.

It took a long time to get where I am now, so be patient. These jobs are few and far between. I would honestly say that I saw maybe one of these every couple of years. The hiring for these jobs are pretty selective-I would say at least 5-10 years experience and a good reputation.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Famous Mikie-ism "half a pie is always better than no pie".

I closed my office after 11 years because it cost nearly $3,000 a month to keep it open. My apprentices always thought they were worth more than I paid them. Wait until you start paying all those expenses and then see how much of the fee you actually get to keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks