• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Broker Price Opinion (BPO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyr2000

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am Licensed in NJ as an appraiser. I was contacted by a MGT company that I have been doing work for asking if I would do some BPOs. The fees seem really poor and the first 2 deals they want to send are commercial. I was also told they require an interior inspection. Has anyone done these deals? The form seems fairly simple, but the comparable part of the report seems like it could be a ton of work. Can I do these as an appraiser without violating USPAP?

Thank you!

Last edited:

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina

I am Licensed in NJ as an appraiser. I was contacted by a MGT company that I have been doing work for asking if I would do some BPOs. The fees seem really poor and the first 2 deals they want to send are commercial. I was also told they require an interior inspection. Has anyone done these deals? The form seems fairly simple, but the comparable part of the report seems like it could be a ton of work. Can I do these as an appraiser without violating USPAP?

Thank you!

So you think giving an opinion of value can be anything other than an appraisal? You are a licensed appraiser, your opinions of value are appraisals and better be USPAP compliant. The NJ Appraisal Board isn't going to care that you call it a BPO.

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
BPO Ii

So you think giving an opinion of value can be anything other than an appraisal? You are a licensed appraiser, your opinions of value are appraisals and better be USPAP compliant. The NJ Appraisal Board isn't going to care that you call it a BPO.

SO! If one is an appraiser AND a Real-a-tor, can one do a BPO? What disclosures should be done?

TN

Pete Pasco WA

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
Don't do it. Do a search and you'll see a bunch of threads addressing this.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
The fees seem really poor and the first 2 deals they want to send are commercial.

Nice. What's next?

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina

Thank you!

Not just no, but hell no.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
SO! If one is an appraiser AND a Real-a-tor, can one do a BPO? What disclosures should be done?

TN

Then you should make darn sure your client knows which hat you are wearing. Are you doing a BPO for a client for brokerage purposes or are you giving an opinion of value? That can be a sticky situation. If youa re getting the BPO request because you are an appraiser, you better make sure everything is above board.

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
coming your way soon:

Nice. What's next?

A commercial appraiser told me he was contacted to do a comp search for...........A BAR!!
That's what is next.

So many residential loan originators have tried to go elsewhere for business (like BizOp financing) and commercial loan origination because it's so lucrative. But , still, no comp searches either. How about calling their local Realtor for a BPO?

Now they tell me commercial lending is off 50% from this month last year.

SBA loans over $350K are now (August 1) going to require a separate appraisal of any machinery and equipment, and a business plan as well.

Mark to market

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I found this on the Michigan Board site

Can a licensed appraiser perform a BPO that is USPAP compliant?

A: A Broker Price Opinion is exactly that – a price opinion given by a real estate broker. Real estate appraisers may give an opinion on the value of real property but are subject to the requirements of USPAP that apply to all appraisal practice: the Definitions, the Preamble, the Conduct, Management, and Confidentiality sections of the Ethics Rule, the Competency Rule, the Jurisdictional Exception Rule and the Supplemental Standards Rule. The only exception is when you have a duel license as both an appraiser and a real estate broker. If that is the case you must make it clear to the client "which hat you are wearing". Meaning, if you are a dual licensee you are allowed to give a BPO provided that you clearly identify that your roll is as a real estate broker and not as a licensed appraiser.

hyr2000

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
thank you for that - i will be declining that work for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks