• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ccim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Has anyone obtained the CCIM using appraisal experience? If so, I'd like to chat on what/how did you write your Portfolio of Qualifying Experience?

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
State
California
same question

I'm also curious to know. The following published requirements from their web site make it look almost impossible to get qualifying experience from appraising alone:

3. Submit settlement documentation that substantiates the completed activity. Remember to reduce all legal-size page to 8 1/2" X 11". Settlement documentation would include (1) of the following:

i. Signed closing statement showing commission paid to your company; or
ii. Copy of new deed showing date and new owner’s name; or
iii. Signed lease with commission check to your company verifying the property address

4. Submit proof of their material participation in the submitted transactions. Proof of material participation would include (2) of the following:

Your signature on the closing statement, contract or lease declaring you as principal, witness, agent, president, listing agent, selling agent, buyer or seller, or lessee or lessor.
A copy of the check that shows the commission paid to you for your role (must indicate property address, especially in case of a lease).
A copy of the deed showing you as grantee or grantor.
A notarized statement from your broker or supervisor on company letterhead, which verifies your exact role in the transaction and lists each property address and the amount of compensation (if any) you received for each. This is not applicable if you are the principal of your firm.
Notarized letters to you from buyers, sellers, tenants, landlords, participating brokers, etc., on company letterhead verifying and specifying your exact role in the transaction and listing the property address.
A signed listing agreement with your name on it.
Fully executed employment contract with proof of payment.
Principals/sole practitioners may supply a notarized statement from the settlement attorney or title company, or copies of legal documents that substantiate their position in the company.
Supervising brokers may also submit a notarized statement from an officer in the company indicating that the nature of employment involves material participation.
If you acted as a member of a team or in a supervisory capacity, additional documentation is required to prove your material participation. Explain your specific role in each transaction and your job responsibilities that were relevant to the completion of the transaction.

5. Complete and submit a Portfolio Submission Form with payment. Reminders:

Only completed activities involving the transfer, lease, finance, or development of real estate for appreciation or production of income, or used in a trade or business, or complete consulting reports, may be included in the portfolio.
Candidates may only submit activities in which they have direct or material participation.

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia

Y-TOWN

Professional Status
State
Ohio
No I'm not. I started my CCIM many moons ago, and since I already have $$$$ invested in classes, I decided to do that first... then fast tract to MAI iffin I could. But I can't get an answer from anyone at C headquarters about how to get the designation via appraising...:shrug:

No fast track for the CCIM's to the MAI - CCIM Institute didn't ask for that in return. They were too greedy to get the dues dollars from the MAI’s and others. In that deal the money was all they wanted. They needed to pick up membership.

Last edited:

Y-TOWN

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I was doing some web surfing today and found this - don't know how true it is but there is a link to the CCIM chapter newsletter in which it was found.

CCIM Fast Track Program
This initiative is designed for tenured real estate professionals who have already earned the other
continued on page 4

continued from page 1
preeminent designations of the industry: AACI, CLO, CMB, CRF, CPM, CRE, FRI, MAI/SRPA, RPA, and SIOR. In recognition of the extent of their training and experience, these individuals can apply for Fast Track status, which exempts them from the elective credits and Portfolio requirements.

All they need to do is complete the four core CCIM courses and pass the Comprehensive Examination within a 24-month period.

This came from:

http://chapters.ccim.com/attachments/newsletters/public/08911478230.pdf

JSmith43

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
The CCIM courses have merit on their own. The perspective is definitely different than with AI courses, but there is overlap.

No need for the CCIM designation other than it might look good on a resume. If you are contemplating commercial brokerage activity, it would help you get call returns & a base line level of respect.

It has always been a requirement to furnish a certain amount of proof that the education be applied via successfully brokered transactions to qualify for the CCIM designation. Required courses plus proof of $$$ in closed commercial transactions.

Y-TOWN

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Mentor,

Sounds like you don't think much of the CCIM deal - the AI and CCIM courses do have overlap. CCIM is more income value and feasibility intense. The AI courses are huge on the cost approach and sales comparison approach which the CCIM briefly talks about.

The ideal educational program would be the AI program with a complete week devoted to feasibility.

According to the last post I made no more proof of $$$ transactions required if you have one of the designations which the CCIM will fast track.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
It has always been a requirement to furnish a certain amount of proof that the education be applied via successfully brokered transactions to qualify for the CCIM designation. Required courses plus proof of $$$ in closed commercial transactions.

Not with Fast Track...MAI experience and demo report serve in lieu of. It should be noted that only the demo requirement qualifies, no three report alternative, researh paper...etc.

I plan on starting my CCIM this summer after my MAI is wrapped up. On a side note I did more in commercial brokering commission then appraisal income last year, the CCIM will be huge for both my appraising career, but brokering as well. At least in my hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks