• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Certification 25 3.6

Trying to understand the 'data theft' argument. What, exactly, are you concerned with the GSE's (or anyone else) stealing/mining? Probably 90% of an appraisal report is factual data that can be picked up by anyone. The other 10%, obviously, being the appraiser's opinions and conclusions. Is that what folks are concerned about being mined? If so, which opinions and conclusions do you think would lead to our demise if mined? It can't be property condition/GLA - as they can get that info via a PDR if desired. I guess I'm naive, but I just am failing to connect the dots as to what it is that they're trying to mine that will end us?
Data is the new gold... has been for a long time already. AI can learn how to do appraisals from the data we give it. And if we agree to others using the data we collect, that data can be sold to marketers of all sorts. I simply don't want to contribute to that. Maybe I'm overly-concerned, but I'm not one to easily comply to anything, and I question everything.
 
Data is the new gold... has been for a long time already. AI can learn how to do appraisals from the data we give it. And if we agree to others using the data we collect, that data can be sold to marketers of all sorts. I simply don't want to contribute to that. Maybe I'm overly-concerned, but I'm not one to easily comply to anything, and I question everything
Data is data. They can get data just as easily as you can. What data that we collect is not available to the users of our services already?
 
this is the important part:

Any of the foregoing persons or entities who receive this appraisal report may choose to store, copy, reproduce, analyze, use and distribute the data in the appraisal report for internal or external purposes without having to obtain the appraiser's or supervisory appraiser's (if applicable) consent. Consent must be obtained before this appraisal report may be disclosed or distributed to any other party (including, but not limited to, the public through advertising, public relations, news, sales, or other media). A person or entity who receives a copy of an appraisal report does not become an intended user, unless the appraiser identifies such person as an intended user. The appraiser and supervisory appraiser (if applicable) shall have no liability for any use of this appraisal report not related to the mortgage finance transaction and related activities for which this appraisal report was prepared.
 
And you just thought you were doing for your client only................Think again.
 
the whole world is your client now. ....................


It don't seem exactly kosher to me. I am not a jew in religion although my Lord is. I don't work for tax assessor . Now the whole world is my client and I am not compensated?
 
Last edited:
Data is the new gold... has been for a long time already. AI can learn how to do appraisals from the data we give it. And if we agree to others using the data we collect, that data can be sold to marketers of all sorts. I simply don't want to contribute to that. Maybe I'm overly-concerned, but I'm not one to easily comply to anything, and I question everything.
Just to repeat for any casual readers (not you because you already know) physical characteristics don't fall under the definitions of

Assignment Results
1791497874186.png

or​
Confidential Information
1791497805816.png

So submitting an appraisal report to the client does not trigger a violation of the CONFIDENTIALITY section of the ETHICS RULE
regardless of what that client does with it after delivery. C25 doesn't amount to consent by the appraiser to anyone to do anything. They don't need the appraiser to consent to anything relating to the subject information in the report.
-----
To your other sentiment (don't want to contribute to the machine) that's a perfectly acceptable and principled position to hold. If you don't want to perform these assignments then don't perform them. Nobody is going to criticize you for taking a stand.
 
Data is the new gold... has been for a long time already. AI can learn how to do appraisals from the data we give it. And if we agree to others using the data we collect, that data can be sold to marketers of all sorts. I simply don't want to contribute to that. Maybe I'm overly-concerned, but I'm not one to easily comply to anything, and I question everything.

ceiling heights... :rof:
 
I've been doing ceiling heights and floor coverings in my SFR appraisals for 15 years
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top