• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Chaga Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Does anyone here use Chaga for their health? I started using it 4 years ago and have enjoyed good health without being sick ever since.

Chaga is a woody growth on birch trees in the northern latitudes (think Maine, Canada, Siberia etc). It is called a mushroom, however it does not even remotely look like a traditional mushroom because it is not soft at all, but black or dark brown and hard, like wood. Long ago the Siberians discovered the health benefits of chaga when they used it to brew tea. Chaga is a powerful antioxidant and immune system booster. Try googling chaga to read about the health benefits and the mushroom itself.

I was introduced to chaga by my long time friend Barry, who hails from Maine. A few years ago Barry started harvesting wild chaga on his annual trips to Maine (which he originally started to escape Florida's hot, humid summers). He experimented using chaga in different forms, and eventually started selling his products at local flea markets. Now he offers chaga for tea, full spectrum tincture (the most powerful form), and soap, balm, and lotion with chaga, and his latest product, chaga infused wild black mangrove honey from the local Florida black mangrove forests.

Last year Barry told me he was writing a book about his experiences in hunting for the wild chaga, as well as all of the benefits he has discovered about chaga along the way. Barry is a character and always has a good story to tell, so I thought it would be a good thing for him to do. Barry has always listened to that "different drummer". He has lived completely off grid ever since I have known him (30 years now) in a solar powered dome house that he built completely by himself, located in a rural area of Florida . He has hiked the Appalachian trail and spent time in Alaska working on a fishing boat, worked as a surveyor in Maine, and many other diverse and interesting endeavors.

If you're interested the book is on Amazon for $12. I just finished reading it and was impressed with it as well as entertained, and also learned a little more about chaga. I was especially impressed with the testimonials of people that credited chaga with saving their life. I had heard about some of these from Barry but had no idea there were so many. A link to the book is below.

Confessions of a Wild Chaga Hunter, by Barry Glidden

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I know you were a tree hugger but now...a tree eater? LOL. Just teasing.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
  1. CHAGA: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
    www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1474-chaga...
    Find patient medical information for CHAGA on WebMD including its uses, effectiveness, side effects and safety, interactions, user ratings and products that have ...
  1. Chaga Mushroom | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs...
    Jan 26, 2017 ... Human studies on the anticancer and immunostimulating effects of chaga mushroom are needed. Chaga mushroom is found in Russia and has ..
  2. .
    1. Warning Letters > Chaga Mountain, Inc. 1/20/15 - FDA
      www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/...
      Sep 21, 2016 ... We note that Chaga Mushroom is an ingredient in all Chaga ... burns, lighten dark or hyperpigmentation, and protect against harmful UV rays.”.
    2. What are Benefits and Side Effects of Chaga Mushroom Tea, Inonotus Obliquus?
    Side Effects of Chaga Mushroom
    One of the side effects of chaga mushroom is bleeding, which increases if you take it with aspirin or warfarin. Also, it can cause your blood sugar levels to fall too lowhttp://feelgoodtime.net/what-are-benefits-and-side-effects-of-chaga-mushroom-tea-inonotus-obliquus/

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Kennedy why don't you cite something that means something? You are only citing conventional medicine sources that discount and disparage anything that doesn't fall in to their pigeon hole of medicine. Meaning pills produced by big pharma at BIG PROFITS. All modern physicians are trained to do is prescribe the pills that big pharma produces because they have been trained that way. Big pharma has been dictating how doctors work for about 90 years now.

Therefore when something else that has been working for many years threatens their bottom line they discount if as "unsafe". Well the only unsafe thing around is all the pills that big pharma pushes to the public through their billions of dollars of TV ads.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
. Therefore when something else that has been working for many years threatens their bottom line they discount if as "unsafe". Well the only unsafe thing around is all the pills that big pharma pushes to the public through their billions of dollars of TV ads.

Aint that the truth!!!!! LOL:beer:

Don't forget about all those "free" immunizations either. :whistle::nono:

Chaga is significant in ethnomycology, forest ecology, and increasingly in pharmacognosy. Its long-term human use and cultural eastern European and Russian acceptance should awaken serious researchers to its potential as a reservoir of new medicines, and as a powerful preventive ally for protecting DNA. For now, I hope that the medicinal demand for Chaga can be tempered by the knowledge that it can be sustainably grown — without the rampant scarring of the forests. I recommend reading the fall 2012 issue of FUNGI Magazine which focuses on the ecology and cultural impacts of the Chaga phenomenon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stamets/chaga-mushroom_b_1974571.html

Last edited:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
okie dokie - from the "other side" - the Proponents>>>>

1. Chaga Knowledge | Chaga Mushroom Science | Benefits
    chagaknowledge.com/chagabenefits.htm
    Chaga is validated by Moscow’s Medical Academy of Science. In his book The Cancer Ward Alexander Solzhenitzyn wrote about the health benefits of chaga.

2. Chaga Mushroom - Eartherbs
    www.eartherbs.com/index.php?page=83
    Western Medicine is now beginning to study, evaluate, and test Chaga Mushroom for the active compounds underlying its historically understood homeopathic benefits.
http://www.brunswicklabs.com/ingredient-corner/chaga-functional-components-and-biological-activity

1. Chaga Mushroom - Eartherbs
    www.eartherbs.com/index.php?page=83
    Western Medicine is now beginning to study, evaluate, and test Chaga Mushroom for the active compounds underlying its historically understood homeopathic benefits.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
All I really know is that I have been using it for over 4 years now and feel 20 or 30 years younger and have not been sick. I take no medicine from big pharma have no need for any.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Yo Kennedy. You know the Head Surfer has a 'dislike' button and each of his clicks are worth -1,000.

Two clicks and you are a 'Newbie Member' again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks