• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know there are a lot of free software packages. Also a lot of them aren't secure. They can be used to hack the server. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I spend keeping hackers at bay. (not appraisers, just "script kiddies" as we call them who enjoy trying to break into servers and defacing websites). Also support on most of the free software is non-existent.

I will keep looking, but it isn't a priority right now. Really I don't see that it contributed much to our appraisal forum.
 
To follow up on this I do have my eye on one particular software package that integrates with our bulletin board system. In other words you wouldn't have to log in separately to chat you could just open a chat window direct from the board because you would already be logged in. Very good, one less password for you to remember, one less log in to make.

However I would need to upgrade the entire bulletin board software system (which I plan to do anyway), but it takes a lot of time to do this and also I would need to take the forum down for a few hours for the conversion.

So we'll see how it goes.
 
Originally posted by Wayne McKerley@Sep 21 2005, 12:55 PM
I will keep looking, but it isn't a priority right now. Really I don't see that it contributed much to our appraisal forum.
Yeah, but in the chat room you don't have to be kinder and gentler and you can discuss things that are taboo on the forum and tell it like it is instead of being nice.

Not that I would ever do that. :blink:
 
Wayne, with all due respect, neither does a classic TV forum, or a gym forum. There are those of us who are avid users of the chat. In addition, lots of new folks come in there asking questions. As it is real time, and doesn't hang on in eternity as do our regular posts, some people find it an excellent venue. While I understand fully your wanting to keep the site secure, I disagree with your comment about value added to the forum.

Just my $0.02....
 
Originally posted by Serena Massey@Sep 21 2005, 03:03 PM
Wayne, with all due respect, neither does a classic TV forum, or a gym forum. There are those of us who are avid users of the chat. In addition, lots of new folks come in there asking questions. As it is real time, and doesn't hang on in eternity as do our regular posts, some people find it an excellent venue. While I understand fully your wanting to keep the site secure, I disagree with your comment about value added to the forum.

Just my $0.02....
Serena,

Value added = revenue
chat room = no reveune

Clearer now?

The TV forum is a stand alone separate entity and has nothing to do with the Appraisers Forum. I just put a link there because I thought some people here might find it of interest. And it's already generating income from the ads.

Let's face it there are thousands of chat rooms if you just want to chat live with someone. From the times I visited my chat room, 95% of the chat wasn't about appraisal anyhow, it was just BS.

If someone has an appraisal question it would be far better for them to post their question in one of the forums and get an email notification when it was answered, not once, but usually with several different opinions and they could read it at their leisure. Trying to get a good answer in a live chat room with several people talking at once about all different things would have to be frustrating at best.

HOWEVER...as I stated in a prior message I am looking at a package that integrates with the forum completely and will not require a separate log in. If we go with it, it will be much better than before as it will have a similiar look and feel.
 
Don't argue with him. He will lock the thread. :rofl:

You heard the man. He said it is not a priority right now. That's fine Wayne. Really, I don't see that it contributed much to our appraisal forum either. Learning a ton, having fun and making great friends (as far as Internet relationships go) is over rated anyway. :shrug: I'll tell you, Pieter broke into song he was so happy to hear that the chat room was taken away. I think I saw him do a cartwheel as he left the house this morning. :shrug:

So because chat is gone I'll just tell you guys a little story here if that is OK.
When I was a kid I used to get grounded A LOT. :rofl: The worse groundings were when my parents wouldn't tell me when I was off groundation. Just," we will let you know, or we'll see how it goes. ". I have carried that over to Maggie sometimes. Not knowing when the punishment will be lifted is a hard pill to swallow. But a very effective punishment. Just a tip.

Here's another tip. If you want to make money in the chat room why not put advertisements in there that actually target the audience not insult them. :shrug:
 
Value added = revenue
chat room = no reveune

Oh, I get it, now. :rofl: This is a for profit business. Who knew? And we all thought you were independantly wealthy and just did this for your enjoyment or is that voyeurism of appraisers.

I have only been in the chat room a few times, but you are right in that it doesn't have much to do with appraising, but it is appraisers. Mixed in with the chat will be appraisal stuff.
 
From the times I visited my chat room, 95% of the chat wasn't about appraisal anyhow, it was just BS.

:cry: na ah. So what are you saying we just talk BS???? That's not nice or kind or gentle. Where is a moderator when you need one. :rofl:
 
It's your party....

We have forged friendships in chat, and there are a bunch of valid appraisal questions that come up, interspersed with total silliness.

In any case, it is your forum to do with as you will. I certainly appreciate the forum and have found it immensely beneficial. I am just very sad to see it being done away with, in particular if it is just because it doesn't generate income (I have never understood how you run this place without getting money from us anyway).

Like Kate, my husband will be doing handsprings when I let him know there is no more chat (if I decide to let him know....).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top