• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Check This Out: Building-Cost.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears to be easy to use on-line cost estimator (based on Craftsman Book Company Cost Manual), and it's free.

I feed in typical average quality ranch, 1092 sf GLA, with finished basement, Hwbb heating, etc. I haven't had time to check it out in detail yet, but first impression is total cost seems low. Obviously dosn't calculate
builder greed factor.

Should I cancel Marshall & Swift yet ?

What's your impression ?

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Joe, can you post a more complete address.

I couldn't pull this up.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Interesting site.

But, unfortunately, is further off (for this market) than Marshall & Swift!!! :roll: :agrue:

WAAAYYYYY OFF!!

Cost to build 2300+SF house, 10 corners, good quality, tile roof, hardwood floors, etc. is shown at $74/SF. Haven't been able to build an average quality rectangle here for less than $100/SF for the last 7-8 years!! I think this cost service is probably close to 100% low for up here....... :(

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
That's what the local cost multiplier is for. We can build that here in Texas for that amount all day long. You can build the basic frame box on slab, CHAC, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, no garage for $42.50 per foot.

Roger

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
I have been using it for the past 1.5 years and find it to be no better or worse than M&S. I find it easier to use.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Craftsman Books are become more popular with appraisers and insurance people every year. Cost is extremely affordable. I order the books thru Amazon.com. I use it for cost estimating repairs and put the print out in file.

Accuracy? Seems to be as good as M & S in my neck of the woods. M & S here tends to over value. Boeckh was better but the software is a goner. Boeckh cost books are still available but since M & S took over the prices have skyrocketed. Bye Bye M & S. One more price increase and I will not buy any of their product. I will survey local builders first.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Does anyone out there use Means Residential Cost Handbook as an additional resource?

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Nancy,
I used to use Means in a former life to bid commercial construction contracts but have not used it in years. Do they have residential data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks