• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Circuity of Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPSDOT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
The DOT will be constructing a roundabout which will impact a McDonalds. The configuration of the roundabout will change one of the driveways to right in/right out only. The other driveway is not affected.
I know that the property has been damaged, but by how much?

Has anyone done any research on measuring this type of damage, or know of a resource I might go to in order to determine the extent of the damage?

Any assistance or comments would be appreciated.

Steve.

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Are you working with a General Certified? Do you have experience with ED (sorry could not resist)?

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
i would suggest contacting site selection pros with other fast food chains. I was suprised to learn how much travel time to and from a fast food site is valued by the large chains. I'm sure that you can calculate the effect on value based on decreased volume.

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
The DOT will be constructing a roundabout which will impact a McDonalds. The configuration of the roundabout will change one of the driveways to right in/right out only. The other driveway is not affected.
I know that the property has been damaged, but by how much?

Has anyone done any research on measuring this type of damage, or know of a resource I might go to in order to determine the extent of the damage?

Any assistance or comments would be appreciated.

Steve.
Just wondering, do the Wisc courts recognize that there is a right to "good" acces or just a right to access?

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Never mind, I found it.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Steven, If you know tell us! We're interested in knowing also!

SPS DOT, Does your license level allow you to do eminent domain work in Wisconsin?

If so, have you taken a good quality ED course?

I think checking with McD's and other fast food chains is a very good starting point. However you also have to do the eminent domain appraisal on the property to determine the loss in value.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
If you read a McDonald's lease they typically have an "out" clause where they can pick up their toys and leave if there is a change to the property or the access.

I once worked on a McDonald's where we told the city they would be writing a very substantial check should they limit the access. the city was going to put in a raised median that would not permit for a left turn out of the parking lot to get back to the interstate. The Highest and Best Use of the property would change from high intensive commercial getting $20/SF rent to low intensive getting $8/SF rent. It was about a $450,000 difference in value to the owner of the building.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Steve has hit on the point ... frequently in regard to eminent domain it is the quantity of access not quality that is compensated thru damages.

What do Wisconsin's laws allow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks