• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

ClickForm Nighthawk

Maybe I'm overly optimistic ;)

But I've run into a decent number who know how to code, actually know statistics, etc. George Dell (for example) has had a number of appraisers go through his course.

I have never met an appraiser who has used Salford Systems MARS (now called Minilab Salford Predictive Modeler) or R/earth for real appraisals. I have talked to Dell and read some of his writings, but to date, I have no indication that he is using MARS or R/earth for a full appraisal. I am sure he has tried it. But it is more than just being able to run earth() on some data.

So, yes, - it is one thing just to run earth and get a MARS model, and another thing to use R code to take that complex model and turn it into a Sales Grid.

I have had people like DW tell me it is all just "high school algebra." Of course, they have passed a number of college courses in Calculus, Linear Algebra, and the like. It is one thing to pass a college-level course in math - and another thing to wrestle through the complications to apply perhaps simple math concepts. You take multi-stage algebraic manipulations cleverly, switching all kinds of things around, staying within the algebra, keeping it all together in your head to achieve some elegant end, and hope not to forget some of the necessary links in the process. Then, ask yourself if you know what you did. Sometimes, it is applying one algebraic transformation on top of another on top of another, and so on. '

You could take someone with a college degree in math and give them a MARS model - "simple algebra" - and then ask them to give you the formula for the value contribution of additional GLA for a 2500sf home or from the model calculate the GLA adjustment between a 2000sf and a 2400sf home. They will likely scratch their head if they have never dealt with such problems before.

I also see this with Claude, for example. I ask it to code something to save me some time and mental strain - and it often does surprisingly well (not always). If I keep going with Claude to add more things, I can be pretty sure that Claude (or ChatGPT) will eventually break down and turn what was once good into a total mess. And then I take some time to look at the mess and tell Claude: Why didn't you do it this way? -- And it comes back and tells me that my solution is elegant and then immediately starts spitting out good code again --- at least for a while. There is another problem: Claude will eventually say I have run out of tokens for the day, and I have to wait until 2:00 AM to continue. But it appears to have lost part of its memory when I continue. Just like people!!! It can only hold so many tokens; it only has so much memory, and it eventually forgets things. You could try to reboot it with the last code it generated - which is usually a history of snippets - but you will run out of tokens again, - sooner rather than later. So, people are like that.

Of course, LLMs like Claude are really not "smart"; they are neural networks, trial and error prediction, incrementally getting better, and so on. You could say the same for some people of course.

Most people can handle only so much algebra - and in reality, the amount of algebra contortions needed - is often more than they can handle.

So, when someone says, "It is only high school algebra, " they are showing their lack of knowledge. One could maintain that mathematics is only algebra. More on that at a later date.

I'm eager to hear from those who have tried using MARS (R/earth) for appraisal and those who feel they have succeeded.

To "succeed," you need to be able to get, in most cases, an R2 of over 70% (0.70+) for several appraisals, with a CVR2 (cross-validated R2) of about 60% or higher and then apply that model to the SCA approach to value. I started doing that in about 2004 without using RCA constraints, which is nonetheless quite satisfactory and, in any case, much better than using linear regression. You do have to learn to detect over-fitting and correct it, if possible (with small sample sizes, you may have to live it, although with a small sample size, you can only assume it is overfitted.) You also must have acquired a pretty good understanding of the subject market area, which using MARS helps.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic ;)

But I've run into a decent number who know how to code, actually know statistics, etc. George Dell (for example) has had a number of appraisers go through his course.

The code for applying earth models to appraisals can get quite complicated. In general. It is one thing to be able to do simple things with R. But more complicated coding is in a completely different ballpark. I have been coding since 1965 (Fortran and APL at the time). I even published a paper on programming when I was a software in college. Plus I am an SRA with lots of residential and commercial appraisal experience in Northern California (17 counties) - but more particularly in the SF Bay Area (Monterey- Mendocino-Nevada County-Merced).

The few appraisers I have run into that do R keep the breadth of their coding skill fairly confined. They don't get into the complexities I deal with, such as creating packages, R6Classes, and other more advanced features. But, I certainly don't know that many appraisers who use R. Some have the money or at least access to advanced programmers or Ph.D's in statistics. Unfortunately, it is the case, and I can confirm this, they really can't communicate with such people very well because they say things that don't make a lot of sense. Anyway, everything changes and evolves with time. So, we shall see ....

Note that I try to support models up to 3 degrees. So, understand that I am writing code that will accept an arbitrary R/earth MARS model of up to 3 degrees, which can include factor variables. Here is a model I am using for testing purposes.

NOTE: Below is an overfitted model because I am using it just to test my code and if you want to get plenty of multi-variable terms, the best way to do that is to create an overfitted model:

modelTerms <- c(
"5047080.9978",
"- 3364.0761534 * Age",
"- 805396.58387 * pmax(0, AreaNbr471 - 0)",
"+ 349606.67304 * pmax(0, Baths - 2)",
"- 1253.4920328 * pmax(0, DaysOffMkt - 181)",
"- 633.33307469 * pmax(0, 4150 - GLA)",
"- 495.54245379 * pmax(0, GLA - 4150)",
"- 31153438.338 * pmax(0, Latitude - 37.572)",
"- 94.379498853 * pmax(0, 7900 - LotSize)",
"- 28.850830693 * pmax(0, LotSize - 7900)",
"- 5478.6645837 * Age * pmax(0, Baths - 3.5)",
"- 4671.2546671 * Age * pmax(0, Garage - 2)",
"+ 173193.21589 * pmax(0, AreaNbr460 - 0) * pmax(0, Baths - 2)",
"+ 93.376232979 * pmax(0, AreaNbr463 - 0) * pmax(0, 7900 - LotSize)",
"- 1054817.8619 * pmax(0, AreaNbr464 - 0) * pmax(0, Baths - 2)",
"+ 22988673.09 * pmax(0, AreaNbr466 - 0) * pmax(0, Latitude - 37.572)",
"+ 114.72134392 * pmax(0, AreaNbr466 - 0) * pmax(0, LotSize - 7900)",
"- 447.36951493 * pmax(0, AreaNbr471 - 0) * pmax(0, GLA - 2580)",
"+ 594.70612646 * pmax(0, AreaNbr471 - 0) * pmax(0, 2580 - GLA)",
"- 118578.4438 * pmax(0, Baths - 2) * pmax(0, 1 - Parking)",
"- 2519.971116 * pmax(0, 4 - Beds) * pmax(0, 181 - DaysOffMkt)",
"- 3473.4374177 * pmax(0, Beds - 4) * pmax(0, 181 - DaysOffMkt)",
"+ 0.29681552218 * pmax(0, DaysOffMkt - 660) * pmax(0, 4150 - GLA)",
"+ 43092.149169 * pmax(0, DaysOffMkt - 181) * pmax(0, Latitude - 37.581)",
"+ 22.587182492 * pmax(0, 2 - FrPlcNbr) * pmax(0, LotSize - 7900)",
"+ 46.566108314 * pmax(0, FrPlcNbr - 2) * pmax(0, LotSize - 7900)",
"+ 55271.496081 * pmax(0, GLA - 4150) * pmax(0, Longitude - -122.401)",
"- 5.5262047863 * pmax(0, ADU - 0) * Age * pmax(0, 2 - Garage)",
"+ 0.39128371091 * Age * pmax(0, 2 - Garage) * pmax(0, LotSize - 7000)",
"+ 591861.72326 * pmax(0, AreaNbr464 - 0) * pmax(0, Baths - 2) * pmax(0, FrPlcNbr - 0)",
"+ 0.4771594133 * pmax(0, AreaNbr470 - 0) * pmax(0, 660 - DaysOffMkt) * pmax(0, 4150 - GLA)",
"+ 90855.881566 * pmax(0, AreaNbr471 - 0) * pmax(0, GLA - 2580) * pmax(0, Latitude - 37.568)",
"- 925523.69159 * pmax(0, Baths - 2) * pmax(0, Garage - 2) * pmax(0, Parking - 1)",
"- 40369.659062 * pmax(0, Baths - 2) * pmax(0, 2 - Garage) * pmax(0, Parking - 1)",
"+ 0.22740150498 * pmax(0, 402 - DaysOffMkt) * pmax(0, 2 - FrPlcNbr) * pmax(0, LotSize - 7900)"
)

Here AreaNbr is a factor variable. You must know that earth() splits your AreaNbr column into multiple columns in the input data frame, one for each level or value, so in this case AreaNbr460, AreaNbr461, ..., AreaNbr471.

1. So, the first question is: How would you even apply this model to a Fannie Mae 1004 Sales Grid.
2. How do you coagulate, name and graph each of the 34 terms.
3. How do you deal with the likes of AreaNbr460-471 with data input that only has one column for AreaNbr.

There are many more such problems. It is all just algebra and R.

One software provider model that comes to mind is that some companies will provide R packages with source code that they update, maintain, and train on. These packages will likely include integrated Quarto and QGIS for reports.

Such software would be open source, because valuation programs must be auditable to prove they are not discriminatory!! They will be licensed - unless someone figures out some other way to pay expensive programmers and analysts.

For these companies to succeed, they must have individuals who possess a profound understanding of the complexities of appraisal problems and R coding issues. Their expertise is not just crucial; it's integral to the industry's success, as they will always be at the forefront of innovation and constantly introduce improvements to their systems.

So, now that I have said that. Look out for vaporware promising such. But honestly, it will take traditional companies years to get off the ground successfully for appraisal. 5-10 years. I could do it, but I'm just one person. I don't have the time to train anyone. The best I can (read want) do is create the software and publish related documentation and analyses.

I would not trust any of the existing appraisal software comapanies to come out with a product. They either lack competence, integrity, organizational infrastructure or a combination of all three. Mostly, they are saddled with a bureaucracy that has little to offer to product development but, on the contrary, would be a costly obstruction. Alamode was great under Biggers, but under Corelogic, so-so. They are probably the leading appraisal software company, however. I have always used them if I needed to make GSE reports. However, I do not see Alamode employees getting anywhere with R or non-parametric statistics or the new kind of business model required.

I would not trust any of the existing appraisal software comapanies to come out with a product. They either lack competence, integrity, organizational infrastructure or a combination of all three. Mostly, they are saddled with a bureaucracy that has little to offer to product development but, on the contrary, would be a costly obstruction. Alamode was great under Biggers, but under Corelogic, so-so. They are probably the leading appraisal software company, however. I have always used them if I needed to make GSE reports. However, I do not see Alamode employees getting anywhere with R or non-parametric statistics or the new kind of business model required.
Spot-on. As a software provider myself (order management for appraisers) who's flying solo, there's a reason I never wanted to get into the report writing / analysis space - it's seriously difficult stuff. Especially if you want to do it right.

Spot-on. As a software provider myself (order management for appraisers) who's flying solo, there's a reason I never wanted to get into the report writing / analysis space - it's seriously difficult stuff. Especially if you want to do it right.

Yea. And that why my opinion is that a very high level appraiser, would opt to use R, Quatro and QGIS (or equivalent), plus some other software on the side suchas Word for Windows, to do his reports. The caveat being that he has to master these tools. ...

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back