• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Collateral Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Dwyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
Does anyone have a client/s that request this type of value. If so, what definition do you use in your reports.

Thanks!

GA Benny

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Barron's Banking Dictionary:
Estimate of value of borrower's pledged collateral as determined by Appraisal. If marketable securities are pledged, the lender is restricted by Federal Reserve Board regulations on Margin lending.

www.lending-source.com
collateral value is usually determined by using the lower of cost or appraised value.

Collateral value is a banking term used to determine the loan to value ratio. As for your job, market value is most likely what you are looking for.

Jim Onderisin

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I agree. It's just another way of saying they want you to appraise market value for mortgage lending purposes.

Phil Dwyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
The "form" the client has provided, asks for collateral value. However, there is no definition given. Should I include an addendum stating that the appaised value is market value and put the corresponding definintion?
Or am I over thinking this one?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Phil, whatever form, format, narrative, paper towel, you use, you MUST adhere to USPAP Standard 1 for developing your appraisal and USPAP Standard 2 for reporting your appraisal. I'm thinking you are under thinking this one. The Definition of the value you are appraising is mandatory.

Who/what is the client and why do they want this appraisal?
What is the USE of this appraisal and who is the USER?

Please do a google search for the definition of 'collateral'. If I do it for you, typically it won't stick in your brain as well as you doing it for yourself. When was your last USPAP class?

Phil Dwyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
It's easy to become a form-filler-outer, and get into a lazy routine. That's especially true if you stick to completing one type of assigment for the same types of clients.
This order was something new, so I've been trying to dot my i's and cross those t's. It never hurts to re-read the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks