• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwise

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I am looking for something to store comp sales in. I currently have a access program but am not completely happy with it. Does anyone have any better access databases they are willing to share or is there any software out there that is reasonably priced that can do this? thanks

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
What software are you using for your reports? I'm assuming you refer to residential.

Bwise

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
What software are you using for your reports? I'm assuming you refer to residential.
Hi Tom, sorry I should have mentioned I do mostly commercial and ag. Ag is not the issue as I use AgWare for that and it has a stand alone database. So I am looking for something for commercial sales.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Hi Tom, sorry I should have mentioned I do mostly commercial and ag. Ag is not the issue as I use AgWare for that and it has a stand alone database. So I am looking for something for commercial sales.
When you mentioned access databases in the original post, were you referring to MS Access? If so, did you enter each comp manually into the database?

Last edited:

Bwise

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
When you mentioned access databases in the original post, were you referring to MS Access? If so, did you enter each comp manually into the database?
MS Access and yes each is manually.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I simply have a template that I use when analyzing a sale, and I put the data in that and then put that in a file I call Commercial > 2015, 2016, 2017, etc. Since I cannot imagine having over 40 or so current sales to use in a year, I don't find it particularly difficult to simply recall the ones I want to use and insert accordingly. In a typical commercial appraisal I may have to create one or two comps new, and I will have one or two that are already created. I do the file name by town and address...using 2 letters for the town and the address following. SS_2010EKenwood... ez pz.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
We previously had an appraiser in our office who worked for an independent appraisal shop , probably 5-6 commercial appraisers. He hired a programmer to help him build an access database that would then produce a one-page PDF comp sheet. I'm not sure exactly how it was integrated into their reports or much else but they have hundreds if not thousands of comps in there and it sounded like it worked ok.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
I just use Excel, but I should look at Access.
You can look at Datappraise, I think they have a database only option.

Red Flint

Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Try taking an Access class, if you are near New Horizons Computer Learning Center, or similar. SBA may also have offerings, or people there may know of outlets for teachers or lower cost consultants. Think also of junior colleges, someone may want a class project and solve your problem.

The design is crucial, and should be oriented to the data you most need and use in your practice area. Access works really well when populated into fields that make sense for the appraisal scope, and the software is already bundled in Office. A couple of tips are to design a field set that works, then copy the whole database for what matters to you, as Terrel mentioned, the year is crucial for him; I use location, so have about 10 similar databases which are filled. The beauty is you can search in the Table view to rapidly pick out comparables based on the search of the day, be that date, building size, $per Sq Ft, etc. Then, use the Form view for individual comparable presentation.

As Marion mentioned, automatic form filling is a very worthy goal. I recently outscourced a task to do this, but during the solution process, found the variety of MLS databases to lead to many problems like field mis-matches, and too much time expended for the usage rate of this tool in the appraisal process. So, not an easy solution, and the problem of using just the downloaded MLS data is that a decent comparable will also need research support for deed and tax records regarding current owner, transfer deed Liber/Page, discussion with participants, etc, which are not typically included in MLS sales records. So, batch entry works for now, and there are still hopes for a partially automated future.

Costowl shows costs of about $50-$250 per hour for database consultant, or $2,000-$10,000 for small business database solution. This may be the quickest way for a solution custom to your needs, but is dependent on communication between your desires and the ability of the consultant to deliver a database template with reasonable performance at a low and capped cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks