• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Confidential Sales - Can HUD require that you disclose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrind

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I appraised a multi-family property. It was a HUD 223(f) assignment. Three of my six comps were confidential. Most sales in my market are LLC transfers (entity buys, drop & swap, etc.) and not disclosed. I appraised the three that are confidential so I have all the data, but again, as LLC transfers they are not available publicly. I scrubbed them of identifying characteristics as is typical. It went through the review with my client OK, but now that HUD is reviewing it they have come back and are demanding that I disclose them. Is that permissible? I know HUD is a government entity, but I don't know that that allows me to break confidentiality for them. Would it be a jurisdictional exception? Thanks for your thoughts.

I appraised a multi-family property. It was a HUD 223(f) assignment. Three of my six comps were confidential. Most sales in my market are LLC transfers (entity buys, drop & swap, etc.) and not disclosed. I appraised the three that are confidential so I have all the data, but again, as LLC transfers they are not available publicly. I scrubbed them of identifying characteristics as is typical. It went through the review with my client OK, but now that HUD is reviewing it they have come back and are demanding that I disclose them. Is that permissible? I know HUD is a government entity, but I don't know that that allows me to break confidentiality for them. Would it be a jurisdictional exception? Thanks for your thoughts.
Curious? We're they truly confidential or simply non-public?

IMO, if you were instructed to keep the info confidential then you need to do so.

OTOH, if it's just non-public information then I don't see the harm in disclosing it in a report.

Does not qualify as as J.E., IMO.

Nothing is really confidential according to USPAP except assignment results and information specifically identified as such by the client. If comps were confidential by default...

Thanks for your insight, guys. To answer your question, Mark, and to confirm RebelNYC's comment, they were requested to be kept confidential by those involved in the transaction who provided the info (broker and/or buyer & seller). They were adamant that it be kept confidential. This is typical in Ohio because the local school boards in the major metro areas of the state aggressively chase sales to try to boost taxes. So while Ohio is a "disclosure state" almost all sales are LLC transfers. If picked up by the school board, they will file a complaint with the BOR and either force a settlement with the owner or win in a drawn out court battle. Thus, owners try to hide the sale via LLC transfers. From an unbiased 3rd-party's viewpoint, I don't care whether it becomes public or not, I just don't want it to become public because of me.

...., they were requested to be kept confidential by those involved in the transaction who provided the info (broker and/or buyer & seller). They were adamant that it be kept confidential.
In that case I would not disclose the info. Better to lose a client or appraisal fee than your license.

I'd offer to revise the report, removing the 'offending' comps and replacing them with others, but I'd let them know that I wouldn't disclose confidential information under any circumstances.

In that case I would not disclose the info. Better to lose a client or appraisal fee than your license.

I'd offer to revise the report, removing the 'offending' comps and replacing them with others, but I'd let them know that I wouldn't disclose confidential information under any circumstances.
That is the route I went. I offered to remove the 3 confidential comps and just go with the 3 that were left or replace the confidential sales with other non-confidential sales. I stressed that I used the best comps available and that the replacement comps may be older/farther away/require more adjustments, but at least I am in a market were a lot of transactions have happened recently.

I offered to remove the 3 confidential comps
So what can you disclose? If it isn't disclosed in the MLS? It sounds like Arkansas on being a disclosure state. A corporation doesn't have to disclose the sales price under certain circumstances. If not disclosed, then if not in the MLS, as far as I go, those sales don't exist. I would never put them in a grid, certainly not as ghost comps, and I would only point out that other sales exist but couldn't be confirmed due to the efforts of buyers to hide the sales price. Seems pointless to research a sale you cannot actually use.

Would it be a jurisdictional exception?
No.
he local school boards in the major metro areas of the state aggressively chase sales to try to boost taxes. So while Ohio is a "disclosure state" almost all sales are LLC transfers. If picked up by the school board, they will file a complaint with the BOR and either force a settlement with the owner or win in a drawn out court battle.

Having said that then the state is amiss to simply force them to disclose all such sales regardless of status. The alternative is for the state to make a clear over-valuation and force them to prove they didn't pay that much.

So what can you disclose? If it isn't disclosed in the MLS? It sounds like Arkansas on being a disclosure state. A corporation doesn't have to disclose the sales price under certain circumstances. If not disclosed, then if not in the MLS, as far as I go, those sales don't exist. I would never put them in a grid, certainly not as ghost comps, and I would only point out that other sales exist but couldn't be confirmed due to the efforts of buyers to hide the sales price. Seems pointless to research a sale you cannot actually use.

No.

Having said that then the state is amiss to simply force them to disclose all such sales regardless of status. The alternative is for the state to make a clear over-valuation and force them to prove they didn't pay that much.

Terrel, I show the actual sale price, cap rate, and date of sale. However, I remove any identifying characteristics including going so far as obscuring physical indicators, for example: if it was built in 2003 I would say that it was built in the "2000s", if it has 178 units I would say that it has "150-200" units, if it was located in Euclid, OH, I would say "Cleveland MSA". I do have to make a decision when it comes to concluding to a $/unit so I would probably choose to use 175 or 180 and state in my comparable data sheet that the $/unit isn't exact but within a few % of the actual $/unit. My clients have no problem with me doing this and, in fact, many like it because the confidential sale is often something I appraised for them previously and if they know the date and sale price, they can figure out that I used a legit sale, but respected their borrower's confidentiality request. So everyone is happy. The issue here is that HUD wants to force my hand.

Ohio does mass valuation, stratified based on property class or some other differentiator. Properties are reappraised every 6 years with an updated every 3 years. LLC transfers are a way around disclosing the sale to the assessor (aka auditor in Ohio). Instead of a traditional real estate transaction, it is listed as a business transaction. The buyer buys the LLC in which the property, Great Apartments, is the only asset. So the ownership of the asset doesn't technically change, ie if Great Apts LLC is sold from person A to person B, it is still owned by Great Apts LLC as far as the assessor is concerned and no real estate sale has taken place. Now everyone in the know, knows that Great Apartments sold from person A to person B, but they want it confidential to keep the school and county, none the wiser. To uncover the sale, the school board/their attorney look at new mortgage filings. If they suspect that it is for a sale, they will subpoena the lender to get a copy of the appraisal. Then, with appraisal in hand, they subpoena me/the appraiser to testify. If they get that far, they either force a settlement or they fight until they win, . . . and they (the school) does win per a 1Q 2020 ruling by the Ohio Supreme Court. What are the odds of getting caught by the school board by using an LLC transfer? Not sure, but some owners hope to "slip one past the goalie" and do so successfully, but for them to have any shot of that, they demand that any data regarding their sale remain confidential.

I show the actual sale price, cap rate, and date of sale.
If not recorded in the public record nor the MLS, then again, I would say it was a private transaction and confidential and I developed no information usable. I would use only the three with information. The state in court could force you to disclose - that is a JE but I don't think HUD can force you to disclose the info. Again, in the future, I'd just keep those sales under my hat. The state ledge could change that if they want...but they are attorneys you know...

Thanks for the comment, Terrel. They came back and said that they won't accept me swapping out sales as they do not want "inferior sales". They then dropped this from the MAP Guide which is used by HUD for 223(f) assignments:
1644875033102.png
Not sure what to do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back