• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Confidential Sales - Can HUD require that you disclose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your insight, guys. To answer your question, Mark, and to confirm RebelNYC's comment, they were requested to be kept confidential by those involved in the transaction who provided the info (broker and/or buyer & seller). They were adamant that it be kept confidential. This is typical in Ohio because the local school boards in the major metro areas of the state aggressively chase sales to try to boost taxes. So while Ohio is a "disclosure state" almost all sales are LLC transfers. If picked up by the school board, they will file a complaint with the BOR and either force a settlement with the owner or win in a drawn out court battle. Thus, owners try to hide the sale via LLC transfers. From an unbiased 3rd-party's viewpoint, I don't care whether it becomes public or not, I just don't want it to become public because of me.

Your duty of confidentiality applies only to the client. You owe no such duty to random people, even if they request it. Were this the correct interpretation of USPAP, it would wholly be against the public good.

Anyway, think logically. But as the last post indicates, HUD and any government authority with appropriate powers can demand confidential info be revealed.

I have noticed old timers tend to be very protective of their comps. This does make sense to a degree - doing proper verification requires not only time, but almost always a relationship. But national firms will steamroll you with inhouse comps and many at all levels fabricate them entirely. I would say the majority of comps I run across are fabricated.

Thanks for the comment, Terrel. They came back and said that they won't accept me swapping out sales as they do not want "inferior sales". They then dropped this from the MAP Guide which is used by HUD for 223(f) assignments:
View attachment 59430
Not sure what to do here.
Although a nice try I don't believe that this bit of authoritarianism justifies their contention. Confidential information residing in a workfile is not the same as confidential information recited in an appraisal report for third parties to "gaze at" and "profit from". Of course you should have all that information in your workfile readily available to an enforcement agency. That does not mean HUD has the authority to demand you make private, confidential information available to third parties (such as your client) for them to profit from. HUD is attempting to make a loan and not initiating an investigation. They would be more than welcome to my workfile (during the course of an investigation) where private, confidential information can safely reside however I would not PUBLISH information specifically designated as "confidential" by the source into the public domain (such as your appraisal report). In small towns people compare their appraisal reports more often than you would think. It would be a sad day and somebody would hear about it at length if my confidential closing information became common knowledge around the neighborhood. Your client can PAY to gain access to that confidential information from the people that control it if they want to make the loan bad enough. You have their names, addresses and phone numbers. You disclosed all the information you were entitled to disclose and you have the three best "nonprivate sales" recited in your last report revision. After the BS attempt at your integrity they forwarded to you above I would tell them they were welcome to use whichever version of the report they pleased and then simply relax and enjoy their discomfort. At this point you hold the high ground as you have done nothing wrong and have violated neither law, regulation nor confidence.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, Terrel. They came back and said that they won't accept me swapping out sales as they do not want "inferior sales". They then dropped this from the MAP Guide which is used by HUD for 223(f) assignments:
View attachment 59430
Not sure what to do here.
Is a review of the appraisal the same as a review of the work file?

It appears to me that, in the event that they require you to produce the entire work file, you are required to disclose the confidential information.

Another issue, IMO, is that USPAP does not consider it a violation, does your client feel the same way? And, if not, what ramifications could ensue if the client decides that you've breached their confidentiality? Will the USPAP lawyers come and defend you in civil court?

I think you should contact your E&O company and ask one of their lawyers since they may be the ones to defend you.

Although a nice try I don't believe that this bit of authoritarianism justifies their contention. Confidential information residing in a workfile is not the same as confidential information recited in an appraisal report for third parties to "gaze at" and "profit from". Of course you should have all that information in your workfile readily available to an enforcement agency. That does not mean HUD has the authority to demand you make private, confidential information available to third parties (such as your client) for them to profit from. HUD is attempting to make a loan and not initiating an investigation. They would be more than welcome to my workfile (during the course of an investigation) where private, confidential information can safely reside however I would not PUBLISH information specifically designated as "confidential" by the source into the public domain (such as your appraisal report). In small towns people compare their appraisal reports more often than you would think. It would be a sad day and somebody would hear about it at length if my confidential closing information became common knowledge around the neighborhood. Your client can PAY to gain access to that confidential information from the people that control it if they want to make the loan bad enough. You have their names, addresses and phone numbers. You disclosed all the information you were entitled to disclose and you have the three best "nonprivate sales" recited in your last report revision. After the BS attempt at your integrity they forwarded to you above I would tell them they were welcome to use whichever version of the report they pleased and then simply relax and enjoy their discomfort. At this point you hold the high ground as you have done nothing wrong and have violated neither law, regulation nor confidence.
You're neglecting the fact that comparable fabrication is an enormous problem.

For HUD market rent studies, appraisers almost always use other HUD rents. You end up with spiraling increasing of rental rates to the point of absurdity. A 1-bedroom apartment in Waterbury, CT - a city totally taken over by Section 8 vultures - is a few hundred dollars less than a brand new Class A apartment in New Haven. Southeast Washington, DC has HUD rents at say $500 less than a Class A apartment in many surrounding areas. You are presuming this appraiser hasn't fabricated comps, but it has gotten to the point where HUD has enough data to make an accurate guess.

In Texas, this is probably not as big of a problem, yet, as zoning laws are more lax. You can keep building apartments and real market rents to determine Section 8 rents are possible. But I've reviewed total BS reports from Texas many times, and the problem is endemic enough that on the commercial side, the state has the lowest fees in the nation. Dallas, in particular, is black mark on this profession.

At the end of the day, multi-family appraising will be automated away just as single-family homes. The government effectively controls the market with building standards and subsidized financing. Rents are a function ultimately of income demographics, which those who fabricate data do not grasp.

Appraisers dug their own grave, and Freddie Mac data should make it clear reporting all your comps as confidential won't protect you. If your comps fall outside the range of the actual rents the government has on the books for recently financed properties, you've got a problem.

I have every Freddie Mac deal since 2020 stored in an Azure database that costs me $50 a month. That's how cheap Big Data is.

HUD is the most anal demanders of what they want. how many pages in the HUD handbook? and you're saying to them i'm not going to give you all the info you usually want.' although i don't know why they wouldn't accept them as comps #4,5,6. that being said, the lender says ok. 2 years later, by the luck, or lack of, it goes for a post HUD review by an official HUD reviewer. he don't know nothing about what was agreed to previously. i do not want to be the one who gets a certified letter from HUD, noting by HUD book page & paragraph number what you didn't do right on this appraisal.
they never want to hear why you couldn't, then you shouldn't have done the appraisal. so even if a go now, beware of your future luck. FHA can be brutal even years after settlement.
i speak from experience, of which i became a better FHA appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back