• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Convention loan, now going FHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoebe33764

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I performed a conventional multi family appraisal in March. Wachovia was the MB's lender. They had the homeowner repair her pool screens then after the loan had been in limbo, and after she fixed the screens, they told her she was denied.

Now the broker is taking her FHA. Originally, I performed a conventional appraisal, yet noted the ripped screens and mentioned that there were a few ceiling stains. I did not CB4, but I did mention these items and that a roof expert should be retained, if desired to determine if the roof needs repair/replacement or if it was a drip pan leak.

Since this is now going FHA, they provided a case # to me. I was going to do a reinspect with new photos, showing the new screens, check more in-depth for FHA required items, etc, and to note the repair and cosmetic items. My issue is with the stained ceilings. Since I originally did not CB4 for the conventional appraisal should I just reiterate the stains on the ceilings or should I revise the report and CB4? Please advise.:shrug:

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
I am not experienced enough to answer your question but IMO:

The FHA SOW requires an attic inspection and it might be difficult to rationalize the issue away with a CB4 because HUD specifically cautions the appraiser from deferring questionable issues to other experts merely to shield oneself from liability or lack of a stepladder...

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
Review Mortgagee Letter 2005-48.

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Take Michael's suggestion. Then forget that you ever saw the house before and treat it for what it is...a whole new assignment with the SOW to FHA standards.

Start from scratch as you go through the house checking the windows, the electrical outlets, the electrical service box, the water pressure and, YES, the attic. (Just to name a few things).

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
Include a picture of the stained ceiling and include in the file if warranted. A picture is worth a "million" words.
As Chris suggests, the FHA minimum SOW inspection requirements might differ from the typical conventional inspection.

Last edited:

phoebe33764

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree. Because it was conventional, on the prior appraisal I did not do a attic inspection etc. On the prior appraisal, because the ripped screens/missing screens (pool) and the ceiling stains were evident, I took photos of them and included them in the report.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your comments.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
New assignment, new(and different scope of work), and, if you are smart, new fee.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
New assignment, new(and different scope of work), and, if you are smart, new fee.
DITTO! Especially since original appraisal made in March; it's now ancient history.
Most recent sales data in may well tell a different story than told in March.
New assignment, FHA scope, Full fee (IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks