• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Could The Subject Be Rebuilt On Same Foundation/footprint If Destroyed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a simple zoning question. Call zoning, get an answer (or not) and report your findings.
Are you an appraiser Brad, your info indicates "general public"? "Simply" answering a question can hold substantial legal ramifications for an appraiser. It's NOT always just a matter of answering the question.

I have never encountered a municipality in NC that had zoning that did not specifically address the question at hand in writing within the zoning guidelines inclduing any exceptions etc. Copy and paste and provide the name and number of the contact @ the zoning department with the caveat that the lender should do due diligence and contact the Zoning Administrator directly with any concerns.

I wish it were that simple Mr. Rex. But I'm in Oregon. Example: there's a neighborhood around me where it has been platted for over 80 years with 6000 square-foot lots. Yet the ground zoning is rural residential 1 acre minimum since 1982, which is to say at least 34 years since they would've become aware of the actual lot sizes that have existed plainly on plat maps for decades.

Question: Can the improvements be rebuilt it destroyed?

Answer: You're gonna have to ask someone other than me. The reason I say that is because the history of zoning around here is erratic and zoning decisions have demonstrably ignored pre-existing land use patterns. That's why I can't be sure and that's why you need to ask the governing authority.

I wish it were that simple Mr. Rex. But I'm in Oregon. Example: there's a neighborhood around me where it has been platted for over 80 years with 6000 square-foot lots. Yet the ground zoning is rural residential 1 acre minimum since 1982, which is to say at least 34 years since they would've become aware of the actual lot sizes that have existed plainly on plat maps for decades.

Answer: You're gonna have to ask someone other than me. The reason I say that is because the history of zoning around here is erratic and zoning decisions have demonstrably ignored pre-existing land use patterns. That's why I can't be sure and that's why you need to ask the governing authority.

That's why planning officials won't say outright that something can be built or re-built. Phantom subdivisions or old subdivisions that might not have been legally created at the time (issues such as compliance with the map act in effect and other legal issues.)

That's why I posted that it's not just a simple issue.

I just re-appraised a property in my county that was un-zoned six months ago, but now carries a zoning with many restrictions. The house was built new back in April under the "un-zoned" status, but now has a R-1 zoning with setback requirements, minimum lot size, restrictions on use, environmental, lighting, and even requires hookup to the county water system if available (property is located on less than two acres and currently has a septic system). Zoning isn't necessarily a static factor, and what is acceptable today is no guarantee tomorrow.

What county would that be Doug? I thought you were from Apex? Zoning for 30+ years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back