• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Deadbolts

FHA Inspections and Deadbolts. Safety problem?

• Ignore

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Disclose

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Disclose, stipulate removal

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Remove it myself! My clients don't have problems!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Lets vote on it. I don't think it'll change anyone's opinion but, getting everyone's vote would just be so cool!

Last edited:

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
cwd,

No one ever said that a dead bolt in and of itself was an issue.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If it is a deadbolt that must be unlocked by key from the INSIDE of the house, it might be a safety issue if there are no other escape routes from that room. If that is the case, then call for a repair or replacement of that deadbolt.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Prior to seeing it this thread: Ignore

Now that I have thought about it: Disclose, stipulate removal

Reference in 4150.2:

3-6 GENERAL ACCEPTABILITY CRITERIA FOR FHA-INSURED MORTGAGES

16. Other Health And Safety Deficiencies
The appraiser must note and make a repair requirement for any health or safety deficiencies as they relate to the subject property, including:

o inadequate or blocked doors

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Tell them to leave the spare key in the lock, viola, just as good as a thumb bolt. The old rule of thumb from a builders standpoint is that a double keyed deadbolt is used in a door with glass in it or beside it (sidelights) etc. We always made it a point to encourage the homeowners to keep the key within reach, and make a point of using the key when the familiy did fire escape practice.

DKAYTES

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Recently ran into this. The subject was a row home with a double keyed cylinder lock on the front door. Called the FHA hotline and they referred me to the local office for this area. They told me that if the local building code requires a single cylinder deadbolt on the FRONT door, then FHA requires it. The local [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']ordinance[/FONT] called for a single cylinder so I called for the lock to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks