• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Definition of two story home

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalli1582

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Minnesota
I recently had an appraisal done, and on the report my house is listed as a 1.5 story home, when I believe that I have a two story home. I was once a licensed contractor and I have full 8 ft walls on my second level with no slant ceiling in any room. Does this classification make a different in the valuation of my home, since the comparables that were used were 1.5 story homes???

Thanks, K

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Attach photos front, side, rear views ?

click on Go Advanced under the box you type in .....scroll down to "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" ........browse to photo, Upload, then Submit reply :)

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
State
Texas
I will give it a go on how we categorize 1.5 vs 2 story homes in Texas.

For example, I have a first floor rectangle of 32 x 60 feet. If my second floor is 32 x 60 then I know I have a 2 story home. The second floor exterior is basically identical to the first floor. If though, my second floor dimension is less than the first floor and the second floor walls are not completely visible (all 8 feet) from the exterior, then I have some version of a 1.5 story home.

As to adjustments for 1.5 vs 2 story - our market does not recognize any difference in one versus the other just due to that factor alone. The market and its buyers will recognize the difference in gross living area simply by its measurement though. Typically a 2 story will have more GLA than a 1.5 if the first floor footprint is the same on each.

A typical buyer won't view a 2 story as superior to a 1.5 or vice versa based simply on what it's called.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
IN MY MARKET, we find two distinct types of 1.5 story homes. The classic example would be sloping roofs where all of the floor space is not of sufficient height. The second is where the upper level is approximately 50% smaller than the main level, usually with an open area to the lower level. I have not been able to determine any difference in value due to style but the 1.5 story homes are usually smaller so I like to compare them to other 1.5 story homes when possible.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
kalli,

Also, the term 1.5 does not mean that the second level is exactly 1/2 the size of the first level. It just means it is smaller (by any amount).

Two story means the full upright exterior walls would have to match (or exceed) the lower level and there could not be any open spaces where the first level was open to the roof.

As long as the houses that were used as comparison were similar to your house, the building style could vary and not be a worrisome issue.

If you think the floor space of your second level was mismeasured by a significant amount then there may be a problem.

Urbanz

Professional Status
State
Texas
The school I went to basically said that the legal definition would be that all sides must be 2 stories to qualify for a 2 story.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I use levels instead of floors to avoid confusion. We have plenty of houses on pilings that sometimes have the ground levels finished to some degree. It just seems easier that way.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
My definition of a 2 story house is where the second story has the same or very nearly the same sq footage as the main level as opposed to a 1.5 story such as a Chalet, Saltbox, or Cape COD where the upper level is significantly smaller than the first floor.

In my market there is not market preference between a 2 story and a 1.5 story so style makes little difference.

I would not worry about it unless that was a significant style adjustment made in the sales grid. In my markets, such an adjustment is not warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks