• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Detached Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs1784

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Iowa
Hi,

I’m reviewing a manufactured home appraisal for FHA purchase. There is a detached workshop. I’ve been finding conflicting answers around 1. If interior photo of workshop needs to be provided (just have exterior photo) and 2. If this workshop needs to also be included on sketch (which it is not). Just wanting to make sure if this is something that I can disregard or should go back for corrections. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

for FHA you need interior photos of any structure, but can't tell you what page i've seen that. i don't think small sheds are done, but that large workshop should have interiors. and how does the lender actually know what it is being used for beside the appraisers comment? that's big enough to need a drawing, we draw garages don't we. also, some lenders have very long FHA specs of their own that they want, to cover every minutia. FHA loves minutia.

4000.1 Page 599-600 Dtd 11/09/2021 - Is your answer.. Outbuildings i.e an 8x10 Shed doesn't need Pix of interior IF and it is an IF it does not contribute value to the Subject.

In your case it appears this is a permanent Structure and most likely contributes to the MV. In that case an Interior Picture is REQUIRED by HUD/FHA 4001.1.

I often just take an exterior only because I could not access interior and it is a shed just sitting there on top of four cinder Blocks, In other words it is not affixed to the site. Personal Property,

Don't just skim read these pages. It all depends .... i.e If its a really run down shed and it is deemed personal property there could still be an MPS(health & Safety issue as opposed to a MPR, requiring removal.

Last edited:
Personal property or permanently affixed? If it is considered personal property, no interior picture is needed.

Yes, it needs sketched and a photo. I don't know who teaches this (they don't) but too many appraisers ignore outbuildings claiming they don't contribute value. I bet 90% of such claims are bogus.
1654691763002.png

There are a lot of really old storage buildings or old loafing sheds out there that have no contributory value. Agents will call them a workshop, but they are just neglected storage buildings.

There are a lot of really old storage buildings or old loafing sheds out there that have no contributory value. Agents will call them a workshop, but they are just neglected storage buildings.
Above the garage/machine shed has value (imnsho) but the canopy carport and the shed below are kind of marginal - but I'd include them. They are permanent but low cost - $2000 or so each here new. I might lump their value into the site improvements.
1654692558146.png1654692766859.png

Above the garage/machine shed has value (imnsho) but the canopy carport and the shed below are kind of marginal - but I'd include them. They are permanent but low cost - $2000 or so each here new. I might lump their value into the site improvements.
View attachment 63575View attachment 63576
Those are in good condition compared to what I am talking about. I would include those on sketches and photos.

BTW, the agents really get mad when the old storage shed with no value has to be painted because of chipping paint on a pre 1978 house.

You will need to go back out anyway to measure & sketch the workshop if it is permanently affixed & considered real property however you are not required to photograph the interior. Some clients might have different interior photo requirements but HUD only requires the below –
1654723071653.png

Last edited:
I agree with Mike A. There's no FHA requirement for the interior photo of a workshop. There could be a lender specific requirement. Read the engagement letter to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back