• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Discoloration in Attic, Subject to Question

RockBass

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Afternoon all,

Poked my head in the attic and saw this.

image.png
image (1).png

That discoloration on the roof doesn't exactly fill me with confidence and I reported as much to the lender, making the property "subject to" getting it dealt with.

The listing agent is trying to tell me that it's a result of a puncture in the hood venting, which has led to a greasy discoloration from the hood venting into the attic. But in my mind, my bigger concern would be a mold issue. I'm also noticing that there are no dark areas on the beams or on the insulation, only the roof itself which would seem strange if it was a hood vent issue.

According to the HUD handbook "If there is evidence of a deficient condition (such as a water-stained ceiling, insufficient ventilation, or smell of mold), the Appraiser must report this condition, and render the appraisal subject to inspection and repairs if necessary". I've asked multiple times if an inspection has been performed on the property and the question isn't really getting answered. Naturally, the lender and the listing agent are asking me how to "fix" it. At this point I'm basically repeating that they need to get an inspection and repairs if necessary per the HUD handbook.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything and figured I'd ask for anyone else's two cents.

Thanks!

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
You are on the correct track. Call it out and let the chips fall where they may. Not within your expertise as an appraiser to tell them how to fix it. It is too suspicious. Something smells. If it is not mold as they claim. A simple inspection would determine that. Not sure what it would cost. But can't see it being that great of an expense just for a test,

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Does it have good ventilation because it looks to me like it may have been sweating.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
My guess is that it is mold due to poor ventilation. However, don’t guess. Just report and recommend an inspection.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Subject to a new roof! :p

RockBass

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
Follow up, because I'd hate to leave anyone hanging:

I finally got an answer that an inspection had been performed and they provided me with a copy of it. Not what I asked for, but okay. So I read through it and the inspectors basically stated that "there was no moisture visible in the attic space."

Okay, cool. So then about an hour later I get a call: "The inspection says that the attic is free of moisture. Is that satisfactory?" To which I responded that wasn't my decision to make. That's the underwriter's call and they can proceed from there based off of the inspection and my recommendations.

I swear, my last 48 hours have basically been one long caveat about how I'm not an expert. Is that damaging to my self-esteem? I wouldn't know. I'm not an expert.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Follow up, because I'd hate to leave anyone hanging:

Thanks for that. :peace:

I think I'd attach the report to my 1004D or whatever, and rely on that.

Pretty sure you're smart enough, you're good enough, and doggoneit, people like you. :leeann2:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Most common cause is the Exhaust fans terminating into the attic and not to the exterior. The Realtor is probably telling the truth no bid deal and may have already been fixed . Om some cold weather areas if serious it will turn black or get very dark.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks