• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

DISTO D5 vs E7500i pix & info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Disto come out with a Laser Wheel yet?
 
I am thinking about buying a disto. Which one is the easiest to use. I am aslo looking for a tablet to work with Aurora. Any idea.
 
Pirate,

All DISTOs are pretty much "point and press the big button" and the main issues for appraisers are related to outdoor usability items (ability to "see the dot" and effective range.). Of secondary importance here in North America is Bluetooth connectivity. In recent years, most appraisers seem to have preferred the D5. I find the new E7500i to be easier to use outdoors and believe you may want to consider this model, even if Bluetooth is not at the top of your list of important factors ATM. YMMV...

As for a Tablet recommendation, since Aurora is designed for Windows desktop computers (NOT a Tablet program), you'll obviously want a "full Windows Tablet" vs. an iPad or Android Tablet. If you are envisioning that putting a desktop program on a Tablet will somehow transform it into being Tablet friendly, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment/frustration. Since Aurora is a pretty "heavy" program (vs. being optimized for mobile scenarios), you'll want/need a full Core i5 (or better) CPU, 4 GB or more RAM, and likely somewhere in the 128+ GB of storage space. These requirements pretty much make any of the lightweight Clover Trail devices I have covered in the thread here: http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=191490 below the threshold for desirable price/performance ratios. We should be seeing Bay Trail devices in a few months and their increased specs/performance may make them more viable. If you want something before (say) Q3/Q4, I would think you should include any recommendations from ALM to those that may be offered by other appraisers here.


Hope this helps!


-Randall Garrett-
*Apex Software*


/end/
 
I have my Nexus 10 updated with Android 4.3 which is supposed to support Bluetooth Smart. Anyone have an ideas as to how to get these paired? The e7500i doesn't seem to pair in the conventional way.
 
Last edited:
I have my Nexus 10 updated with Android 4.3 which is supposed to support Bluetooth Smart. Anyone have an ideas as to how to get these paired? The e7500i doesn't seem to pair in the conventional way.


Sorry. Go to leica and read the fine print... only for Apple products.

Quick sketching - Bluetooth® Smart with app
The Leica DISTO™ E7500i is capable of more than just measuring. Measurement data can be conveniently and accurately transferred using the integrated Bluetooth® Smart Technology. The free app Leica DISTO™ sketch supports the creation of ground plans or tables on iPhone or iPad. Dimensions can even be entered onto photographs with no effort whatsoever.


You need a D8.
 
I'm waiting for Leica to properly put the big button on the side of the unit. Many times it is held against the house with the display facing the user, and that leaves the button on the face of the unit. The problem is that the user's hands are normally on the side of the unit, and that's where the button would be most usable.
 
Appraisers that are inherently cheap are typically those of us who won't pony up for the Disto in the first place. :icon_lol: I've been using rechargeable lithium batteries for over 10 years. I'm simply used to my Disto batteries remaining charged for a period of months rather than days, which is what I'd heard the original view screen models (D8?) were doing.

I continue to have 'fun' with my view screen on the D5, and it may be the lack of outdoor screen on the D5 that is causing the issues. I'm sticking with that story. It can't be my eyes, right? Zooming and brightening up the screen helps at times, but not always. New Mexico bright sun might be the culprit to some degree.

I note that there are times in the field where the laser beam simply shuts itself off midstream through a house and the unit requires a reboot. It's still light years better than a tape and there's no way I'm giving it up, but there are a few bugs that I didn't have with my A6.
 
Sorry. Go to leica and read the fine print... only for Apple products.

Quick sketching - Bluetooth® Smart with app
The Leica DISTO™ E7500i is capable of more than just measuring. Measurement data can be conveniently and accurately transferred using the integrated Bluetooth® Smart Technology. The free app Leica DISTO™ sketch supports the creation of ground plans or tables on iPhone or iPad. Dimensions can even be entered onto photographs with no effort whatsoever.


You need a D8.


While their website does say that, it says nothing about not working with Android. Randall Garrett even says earlier in this thread that Bluetooth prior to the E7500i worked on other items just not Apple. For the record, I have an iPhone 5S and I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4 yesterday. I cannot get the E7500i to be found on either phone. Both phone specs state they have Bluetooth v4. The Bluetooth is turned on [SIZE=+0]b[/SIZE]y default on the E7500i, but when I search for nearby devices on either phone nothing is found. So I too am looking for a video or text on how to pair this device with my phone. I've had the E7500i for about six months now and have never been able to pair it with any device. Leica’s website and E7500i manual only say how to turn Bluetooth on and off. Please help us pair this device to our phones Randall Garrett. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top