• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do you physically measure?

Do you measure?

  • I always measure and provide my sketch in the report when practical.

    Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Whenever practical, but no sketch and sometimes I don't even disclose it.

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Very rarely - I'm happy to rely on other market-sources including the client, rent roll, etc.

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Never under any circumstances would I want this liability.

    Votes: 1 1.7%

  • Total voters
    59
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder if some residential appraisers voted by accident not realizing this was in the commercial forum

This is most likely accurate. Or you have a lot of people who do very small commercial properties...........Again, the survey does not provide, what I believe would be, the most common response to the survey. It jumps from all to nothing providing little relevant data.
 
Plans = don't measure and assume plans are accurate

No Plans = spot measure at a minimum to verify municipal records or complete measure depending on the size or number of structures.

Yes, this should be standard policy for commercial appraisers.
 
No

I like the posts a whole bunch more than the poll results on this one. The posts make sense in that the consensus is to measure when that is necessary.

As for me, I have a tape measure and know how to use it well. I am pretty sure I have it in the tool box of my truck along with my wheel, sonar tape and Disto. I would actually need to clean out my truck tool box to make sure I have each thing in it’s proper place. I measure almost nothing. I don’t even have sketching software. I can count the number of times drawing a sketch has been required on an assignment in the last 10 years on one hand and it was only required because I determined it was required. Every single time a sketch was required I have outsourced that to a residential appraiser to complete who I had trained many years ago.

I was taken back a bit by the poll result indicating that 3 out of 4 of my peers are doing something I would not do and was locked and loaded for the rant putting forth the position as to why I was right and those other three appraisers were wrong. LOL It was refreshing to read the posts and to see that my peers are very much like me in this regard.
Having the correct GBA is essential to every assignment, there is not an appraiser on this forum who will disagree with that.

I work in a market where that information is available in a source that can deemed to be reliable and can be verified by additional sources and that can all be confirmed by me looking at a property and knowing a difference between what it is that I am seeing and what it is that I am reading.
 
Last edited:
I have my trainee do it as I sit in my Range Rover on soft heated leather seats. Mmmm, this coffee is good.... "Let's GO! FASTER! You still have to get my dry cleaning!!!"

Can't wait to be a general someday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top