• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Your E&O Cover Measuring Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrySW1963

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
Meaning, services provided (usually to homeowners or real estate agents) to measure a house (same as for an appraisal) for the purposes of listing a house for sale?

If your E&O covers it, please share your carrier info.

If it doesn't, and you measure houses as a service as an appraiser, how do you cover your liability?

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
While I'm not an insurance expert, I suspect most E&O policies don't cover 'measuring' as a separate service. Measuring is not appraisal service because their is no value statement issued.

You should consult an insurance provider in your area and ask for info on business liability insurance.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
While I'm not an insurance expert, I suspect most E&O policies don't cover 'measuring' as a separate service. Measuring is not appraisal service because their is no value statement issued.

You should consult an insurance provider in your area and ask for info on business liability insurance.

It is appraisal practice because it is being completed by a person who is marketing the service as an appraiser.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
I suggest everyone read USPAP, page 1, definitions - for Appraisal Practice.

"Measuring" is not a VALUATION SERVICE.

Measuring a dwelling or other building does not subject the appraiser to following or adhering to USPAP.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Call your E and O carrier, if they dont', call the others. There is only a handful of them that advertise to appraisers, if the big ones that market to appraisers dont' cover it, there's your answer.

I'd never measure pre listings for the mediocre $ an agent pay combined with liability.

If the only way an EO company covers it is when it is part of an appraisal, then make your listing measurement part of a short form appraisal for pre list purposes. I'd put in a statement as intended user the RE agent only for list purposes, not to be relied on by other parties.

Last edited:

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Offered measuring services a long time ago after our local/state board made Realtors liable for the GLA in their listings. At the time my E&O did cover it, however that was before OREP switched carriers from GeneralStar to Navigators. I haven't checked with them since. You would have to check with your provider.

On another note, when I started I was getting $75-$100 per measure and giving them a sketch. Not long after there were appraisers and other agents offering to do them for $25 per, and there was no way I was competing with that.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I suggest everyone read USPAP, page 1, definitions - for Appraisal Practice.

"Measuring" is not a VALUATION SERVICE.

Measuring a dwelling or other building does not subject the appraiser to following or adhering to USPAP.

I suggest reading the definition of "Valuation Service." I think most would agree that the GLA pertains to aspects of value. :)

Measuring a home as an appraiser has been used as an example of a type of Appraisal Practice in several USPAP update courses.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
I suggest reading the definition of "Valuation Service." I think most would agree that the GLA pertains to aspects of value. :)

Measuring a home as an appraiser has been used as an example of a type of Appraisal Practice in several USPAP update courses.

Wouldn't you agree it Depends on which end of the Tape your holding :beer:

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
If they are FRT on fannie forms the sketch is "only to assist the reader visualizing". Limiting condition.

And if not on a fannie form , i would be writing in something similar to Limiting condition 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks