• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory Beck

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
With the cost as low as $45 do my piers think a purchase for outside photos of the subject and comparable sales a good idea. Anybody using one?

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Really don't know how cost effective it is;
1) License requirement ?
2) How much to renew ?
3) In my area, to many trees - replacement cost ?
4) More time vs actual street driving ??

#3 - would be my main concern*

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
With the cost as low as $45 do my piers think a purchase for outside photos of the subject and comparable sales a good idea. Anybody using one?

Gated communities.

160042585.JPG

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The cert says the APPRAISER is to physically inspect from the street . A drone is not an appraiser, so you would need to disclose you used a drone and client would have to accept it.

So far, FAA has restrictions about commercial use. And one complaint /lawsuit from security guard at gated community or from a property owner to a client and appraiser can say goodbye to their career.

Imo, at some point if drones do become widely accepted and/or clients accept them and drop requirement for appraiser to inspect, we will be out of a job. People need to think of the consequences before they run out and embrace a new tech toy or time saving device.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The cert says the APPRAISER is to physically inspect from the street . A drone is not an appraiser,

Very minor technicality. Satellite photos are routinely used. If the GSE wants to automate appraisals, a machine operated by a person under the direction of an appraiser will do. Nothing special about an appraiser taking a crappy photo.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Not a minor technicality. Are you still actively appraising? Satelitte photos are not routinely "used" by appraisers, they are used by other companies for other purposes. Clients at present do not accept satellite much less MLS photos ( on res lending end) Of course that can change, and if in your words, nothing special about an appraiser taking a crappy photos, we will be out of a job. What is "special " about the appraiser photo is we personally took it, and observed the area and noise traffic, , maintenance around of area etc.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Not a minor technicality. Are you still actively appraising?

Yes.

Clients at present do not accept satellite much less MLS photos ( on res lending end)

Wrong!

UNDERWRITER: COMP #2 IS NOT VISIBLE IN PHOTOGRAPH. IF THE COMP CANNOT BE SEEN FROM THE STREET THE REASON IT CANNOT BE SEEN AND AN MLS PHOTO IS REQUIRED.

Just to make a point, governments and lenders make use of satellite photos or drone photos all the time. Nothing special about an appraiser taking a crappy photo. Realtors use drone and satellite photos. They can replace appraisers with the blessings of both lenders and governments.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
For typical residential mortgage work? I don't see the advantage or necessity.

For other work? Yes.
I know of a few appraisal firms that do ag. land or other large-acreage property-types. They use drones for some of their assignments.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
I can see some advantages for residential. Better view of the roof. If there are detrimental conditions around the subject, a drone would make them look more dramatic. But there is Google and Bingnand they have excellent aerials. If I did commercial work routinely, I'd probably include a URL reference in a report to a drone clip for the subject property.

Last edited:

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
What if the drone crashes into a house or worse a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks