• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Exactly what are my obligations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Roseberry

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
Did a review on 3/30/07 -- obvious push, back into value; whatever you want to call it. Comps were easy, urban area but today I get this lovely rebuttal back with some really outstanding statements.

For example, 'our map reference is based on the official street atlas prepared by the commercial survey company, which is what we use on all our reports, and which is commonly and typically used by most appraisers and Realtors. Don't know where the review appraiser gets his map pages from.'

Statement has no reference to anything (I use GeoLocator and thought it was an industry standard). There were 7 similar statements and I saw no point in answering them. I simply did a MLS radius search of sold (6 mo), contingent and active listings plus copied the auditor's card and sent if off with a note that I did not feel review or new value were in error.

I don't do a dozen reviews a year (no one wants to pay for them) and will undoubtedly do fewer with this type of garbage.

Okay, I am done venting. Tell me what I should have done.
 
You're the reviewer, just stay calm. Don't let the other appraiser's personal wording impact your work. Stay professional and detached. Check your data, throuhg various sources if available, and simply reply in a professional, neutral manner.
Let the client make the final say, and make it sound grown up.
 
http://www.com.state.oh.us/real/documents/Did_You_Know-Appraiser-SB185.pdf


OHIO
Makes it a fifth degree felony for anyone to directly or indirectly compensate, instruct, induce, coerce or intimidate a licensed or certified appraiser for the purpose of corrupting or improperly influencing the appraiser’s independent judgment with respect to the valuation of any dwelling offered as security for repayment of a mortgage loan.

• Allows information gathered by the Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing to be released to the Superintendents of the Divisions of Financial Institutions
 
Good thought, Mike.

They came close but did not cross the line. I never though of that applying to reviews but it is a fit . . . My mind does not comprehend that people want to 'fix' a review just like an appraisal.

The rebuttal was so ridiculous that there was no sense in answering it or I would have been in one of those he said, she said, I said scenarios (not grown up activities as Ben said).

Reviewing is hard work with 2 to 3 sets of data to sift through. It amazes me that people charge less for a review than they do for an appraisal. To me it is not only added work but added responsibility.
 
I have been on the soap box for years trying to get people to understand that reviewing is actually 2 assignments. The first assignment is actually looking at the other appraisal. The second is re appraising the property if you feel the value is not correct.

I am in agreement, how can appraisers actually charge less for a review, than they do for an appraisal. I think they get snookered when someone calls on the phone and says "it's only a desk review".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top