• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Exposure Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess i could do a market anaylsis for every year since the beginging of housing in america. But that seems to be a differnt assignment type. My job is to estimate market value on a specific date not to estimate market conditions which may or may not be relevant to market value.

So....market activity isn't reletive to your market analysis? Time adjustment just there for fun? :shrug:

:new_2gunsfiring_v1:Exposure/Date of Sale/Absorption Rate/Housig supply/DOM

Would i perform a 1004mc on the open market. That is an absolue NO. Can i disclaim being forced to fill out a form where as it would not be done otherwise. I dont know. Maybe we should provide a job market anaylsis. Do the job market affect the housing market? Can i obtain all relevant information about every job in the city, state, nation. i would say no. Please provide any 1004 mc and i could provided differnt results everytime. So whats the purpose of the 1004 mc. The median list price. Come on. what a joke. and when the final estimated value is inserted into the URAR how many appraisers say well the median days on the market 3-6 months is larger than the 6-12 months so i conclude that the value is blah blah blah. thank god the local MLS does it for me since i could care less about the median days on market for listing.
Disclaim "Due to the lack of a statistically meaningful data, the appraiser has placed no weight on boxes checked in the above Overall Trend section in his analysis and his conclusions of overall market trends which are reported on page 1 of the Uniform Residential Appraisal Report, FNMA form 1004. "
Disclaim "The number of sales of comparable properties within the subject's market area is too small to be statistically significant and, as such, no trends can be reliably identified from this data. Trying to identify trends based on such a small data pool would likely lead to a misleading analysis in violation of the Conduct section of the Ethics Rule of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice."
Good luck to all.

Maybe we should provide a job market anaylsis. Do the job market affect the housing market?

I include a historical unemployment rate graph for the county where my subject is located, and comment on the trend and direction and how employment is related to housing prices. It is in every one of my expanded market condition analyses.
You can find a good graph (by county) at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City web site (if I was at work, I'd post the link).

Disclaim "Due to the lack of a statistically meaningful data, the appraiser has placed no weight on boxes checked in the above Overall Trend section in his analysis and his conclusions of overall market trends which are reported on page 1 of the Uniform Residential Appraisal Report, FNMA form 1004. "

Don't check the trend boxes if that is the case. YOUR choice to check the boxes would be the misleading factor.
"No trend boxes were checked; The above analysis of comparable sales data and conclusions for the past 12 months have low reliability for indicators of the market trends due to the low number of sales, therefore an "overall trend" can not be reasonably discerned. The form 1004MC deals with the comparable sales within that neighborhood that are similar to the subject, which is a more restrictive search and may not support findings of the overall neighborhood trend. See page one in the Neighborhood section of the appraisal report for trends that encompasses all one-unit housing types, showing overall housing trends in the subject's area
and the contrast of comps as well as bank sale trends and influences "

I include a historical unemployment rate graph for the county where my subject is located, and comment on the trend and direction and how employment is related to housing prices. It is in every one of my expanded market condition analysis.
You can find a good graph (by county) at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City web site (if I was at work, I'd post the link).

Interesting. I've heard others do this. How are you connecting the dots with this graph?

1004MC, its like performing Rocket Surgery with your feet.

Interesting. I've heard others do this. How are you connecting the dots with this graph?

Literally or figuratively? :laugh:

I have a 1-page competitive market summary and a 5-page market condition analysis that I do. 5-pages may sound like a lot, but it isn't that onerous; I have a template in word, and the font size is large, so without the charts, it probably translates to 2/3rds typed narrative in the addendum of the 1004.

The market summary provides a map of the competitive market and a summary of the last 12-monts transactions in that defined market area. In my market, the vast majority of properties are transacted on MLS, so the data is from MLS. I provide high, low, average, and median data points of the sale price, GLA, lot size, age, and DOM. Sometimes I'll expand it to include bed/baths if that is relevant to the assignment.
So, the market summary gives the reader a snapshot at a glance: here is the market area and here is the market transactions summary. BTW, I use this data to complete my page 1 high-low-predominant sales and age data for the neighborhood.

The 5-page market conditions starts with a paragraph that summarizes my findings (market is stable, increasing, decreasing, etc.). On this page I include the unemployment rate graph from the FED and comment how housing values are directly related to unemployment rates; I make a comment on the current rate for the county (unemployment has generally been falling since the beginning of 2010).
The next two pages I put information from a paid data source (Altos Research). I provide a 6-year and 12-month chart of the $/SF trend for the city of zip code where my subject is located (depending on the market, I'll go with city or zip code). I'll also provide a 12-month chart of the median price trend and make whatever comments I think are appropriate (usually describing the predominant trend or YOY changes).
On the third page, I provide a chart that I construct using MLS data. It trends sale price and size of home over time. Sometimes, prices will go up but it may be related to the house-mix; likewise, a declining trend in price may be related to a smaller house being sold. The idea is to try to determine if an observed change in price is dependent on the change in house size or is independent of the size of house; if price and size are changing in tandem and correlated, I think that likely implies a stable value environment. If price is declining and size remains the same (or worse, size is increasing), then I interpret that as a declining market. I then summarize all the information and make my market condition conclusion (rising, stable, declining... and I'm not afraid to use terms like "moderately", "strongly", etc.).
The last page is reserved for your and my (Resguy) favorite topic: Non-REOs, REOs, and short sales. I provide a summary table of all the transactions (same count as in the neighborhood transaction) and then break-them out according to their status (REO, etc.). I include a pie chart for the closed transactions; that is a good "visual at a glance" for the reader to see if REOs and shorts are a significant part of the market. I also include the active/pending properties broken-down the same way (no pie chart) and provide an implied inventory-on-hand indicator based on the prior sales to current inventory.
In some markets the number of REOs and shorts are not significant, so I only make a summary comment. In others, they are significant; when they are significant, I include a scatter chart to show their price-distribution vs. time. This gives the reader a picture of where (in terms of price; and I know there are some shortfalls in examining only that aspect) the three types of sales are concentrated. As one would expect, in some markets, there is a distinct differentiation between the types of sales, with the non-REO/shorts typically selling at the upper end and the others selling at the lower end. However, in other markets, there is no differentiation, and based on price only, all three segments appear to compete equally with one another.

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to compile the data, do the charts and summary tables, and write the analysis. In addition to the collecting the data for the above, I know have the data in excel, and can do other types of trend anlysis (like providing support for a GLA adjustment, or evaluating location differences, etc.). And, obviously the trend analysis provides me with some solid support for making (or not making) market condition adjustments.

But, here is why I really do this: So I can understand (to my satisfaction) the dynamics of the market and I can (with confidence) make a adjustments in the grid and conclude results that may appear to be in conflict with the 1004mc. 30-minutes is time well spent (IMO).

Literally or figuratively? :laugh:

I have a 1-page competitive market summary and a 5-page market condition analysis that I do. 5-pages may sound like a lot, but it isn't that onerous; I have a template in word, and the font size is large, so without the charts, it probably translates to 2/3rds typed narrative in the addendum of the 1004.

The market summary provides a map of the competitive market and a summary of the last 12-monts transactions in that defined market area. In my market, the vast majority of properties are transacted on MLS, so the data is from MLS. I provide high, low, average, and median data points of the sale price, GLA, lot size, age, and DOM. Sometimes I'll expand it to include bed/baths if that is relevant to the assignment.
So, the market summary gives the reader a snapshot at a glance: here is the market area and here is the market transactions summary. BTW, I use this data to complete my page 1 high-low-predominant sales and age data for the neighborhood.

The 5-page market conditions starts with a paragraph that summarizes my findings (market is stable, increasing, decreasing, etc.). On this page I include the unemployment rate graph from the FED and comment how housing values are directly related to unemployment rates; I make a comment on the current rate for the county (unemployment has generally been falling since the beginning of 2010).
The next two pages I put information from a paid data source (Altos Research). I provide a 6-year and 12-month chart of the $/SF trend for the city of zip code where my subject is located (depending on the market, I'll go with city or zip code). I'll also provide a 12-month chart of the median price trend and make whatever comments I think are appropriate (usually describing the predominant trend or YOY changes).
On the third page, I provide a chart that I construct using MLS data. It trends sale price and size of home over time. Sometimes, prices will go up but it may be related to the house-mix; likewise, a declining trend in price may be related to a smaller house being sold. The idea is to try to determine if an observed change in price is dependent on the change in house size or is independent of the size of house; if price and size are changing in tandem and correlated, I think that likely implies a stable value environment. If price is declining and size remains the same (or worse, size is increasing), then I interpret that as a declining market. I then summarize all the information and make my market condition conclusion (rising, stable, declining... and I'm not afraid to use terms like "moderately", "strongly", etc.).
The last page is reserved for your and my (Resguy) favorite topic: Non-REOs, REOs, and short sales. I provide a summary table of all the transactions (same count as in the neighborhood transaction) and then break-them out according to their status (REO, etc.). I include a pie chart for the closed transactions; that is a good "visual at a glance" for the reader to see if REOs and shorts are a significant part of the market. I also include the active/pending properties broken-down the same way (no pie chart) and provide an implied inventory-on-hand indicator based on the prior sales to current inventory.
In some markets the number of REOs and shorts are not significant, so I only make a summary comment. In others, they are significant; when they are significant, I include a scatter chart to show their price-distribution vs. time. This gives the reader a picture of where (in terms of price; and I know there are some shortfalls in examining only that aspect) the three types of sales are concentrated. As one would expect, in some markets, there is a distinct differentiation between the types of sales, with the non-REO/shorts typically selling at the upper end and the others selling at the lower end. However, in other markets, there is no differentiation, and based on price only, all three segments appear to compete equally with one another.

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to compile the data, do the charts and summary tables, and write the analysis. In addition to the collecting the data for the above, I know have the data in excel, and can do other types of trend anlysis (like providing support for a GLA adjustment, or evaluating location differences, etc.). And, obviously the trend analysis provides me with some solid support for making (or not making) market condition adjustments.

But, here is why I really do this: So I can understand (to my satisfaction) the dynamics of the market and I can (with confidence) make a adjustments in the grid and conclude results that may appear to be in conflict with the 1004mc. 30-minutes is time well spent (IMO).

That's it???? Ughhh.....skippys. :icon_mrgreen:

That's it???? Ughhh.....skippys. :icon_mrgreen:
:laugh:

Yeah- it may sound like a lot (and it is, when one first starts to set up the system), but once the process is set-up, it isn't that much additional work.

You know, when the 1004mc first came out, I had a hell of a time filling that thing out. I purchased a software program that did it for me; that took about 10 minutes of process time.
I recently switched to Clickforms because of the ACI UAD fumble. Clickforms 1004mc (after the one-time set-up) takes about 1-minute to complete and imports everything into the report. So, I'm actually back to where I was pre-1004mc; about 30 minutes collecting data and analyzing the market. :)

edit to add: Actually, my excel skills have improved; I was probably about 45+ minutes pre-1004mc researching the market conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back