• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Failed Certified General Exam Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaynaPunim1984

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in the forum. Yesterday I took my Certified General Appraiser licensing exam for the second time and failed by 1 percent...AGAIN. I need a 75 to pass and both times I got a 74. I studied differently the second time, used flashcards, used all the prep recommended to me but man....the second time the test was EVEN HARDER. Here's what I used:

1) Practice Examination Questions for Real Estate Appraisers - from Appraisal Institute
2) Practice questions from the Student Handbook 13th Edition - also from the Appraisal Institute
3) Reviewed all of the practice questions in all of my classes, all of which I took with the Appraisal Institute
4) Used flashcards for formulas and terms
5) Bought compucram...but that was waaaay to basic, only used it for some definitions
6) Read through USPAP twice, including the FAQ section

I felt I understood concepts better this time but those questions are SO poorly written and vague that it is nearly impossible to tell at times what the heck they want from me. I'm open to any prep courses, strategies, coping mechanisms you guys have to offer.

I'm scheduled to take it again August 22nd to give myself a good month to see where things went wrong. Please help. If I get licensed, I get promoted and a raise.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
There are, or were, 4 versions of the test.

When you come out of the test write down every question you remember that give you an issue to answer during the test Then write down all the ones you can remember.

That's your new study guide.

Some versions of the test seem easier because they are worded differently, or rather worded in a way you are more familiar with, or have somewhat less complicated math than some other verisons.

There was a version that had a question with a 10 year DCF and different income streams accelerating at different rates. Oh fun. Sometime you wish you could be told exactly which ones you did and did not get correct. (I think I got that one).

But, the question after that was about avigatory rights. I remember being dumb founded, avigatory rights. Couldn't even connect it with aviation. I was still mulling over the math from the previous question, wondering if I should click back and double check myself.

Don't sweat it.

Eventually you'll pass it. Keep at it, and keep studying. Don't let what could or could not happen in the future, based on the test outcome, up your anticipation and anxiety. You need to be relaxed during the test knowing, it doesn't matter, you can take it again, and you'll be just fine.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
You seem to be under self imposed performance pressure. Relax. Just let it happen. You're probably psyching yourself out. Go into the next one confident in your knowledge which at this point is probably superior to many of your certified peers. Not going to wish you luck. You've got this thing whipped.

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I took the test four years ago and past. It is a pain in the neck. Some of the problems are have extraneous information, and also have answers that are "more right" than other choices.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
Some people just aren't good test takers.

Pay attention to the problems that you see over and over again. Make sure you know those backwards and forwards. questions like what to include in the work file, how long to retain a work file, you see those questions over and over again.

SpartanAG

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
As you go through the test, answer the questions you know the answer to first. Do not bog down on the questions you can't immediately answer. Just mark them and move on; you can come back to them later. Good luck!

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
It sounds like you are doing all the right prep-steps.

We are in California so I assume the testing process is the same as when I took it.
My most effective study process is flash cards and then writing and re-writing the formulas or other items over and over.
Then, after they've searched me and before I start the test, on one of their blank worksheets, I will re-write what I have memorized (formulas, etc.) on that work sheet. Then I'll start the test.

Writing and re-writing the same things (and memorizing them) is relatively easy for me, thanks to the good nuns I had as teachers in the 2nd and 3rd grade (I spent a lot of time at the chalkboard during recess!).

As others have said, relax as best you can.

Good luck!

ShaynaPunim1984

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Thanks guys for the well wishes and advice. I think I'll try writing all those formulas down, that's a good start. I'm probably psyching myself out somewhat, will do my best to stay calm for attempt #3. Definitely not the best test taker, but trying to fix that. I do take some solace in the fact that I'm not the only one who finds this test to be a real pain. These questions are just so poorly written!

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
3) Reviewed all of the practice questions in all of my classes, all of which I took with the Appraisal Institute

6) Read through USPAP twice, including the FAQ section

This is what I did, though I only got through USPAP once before the test. I had all of my AI books and went through every practice question/test in all of them, plus the ones from Advanced Income which I had previously taken. I took it about four years ago and passed the first time. I've got the Comp Exam coming up in about three weeks though and have really not had much time to study. I'm a little more worried about that one as I'm looking at some practice questions with no idea how to tackle them.

ShaynaPunim1984

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Have any of you used "Steve Williamson's National Appraiser Qualifying Exam Prep Course?" Or learnappraising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks