• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Failed the appraiser exam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jurisdictional Exception Rule. But that will start a post war if we talk about that.

My daughter just missed the exam by a couple of questions. She was crushed. But then she hasn't studied in 3 or 4 months and went cold turkey. I'm sure she will pass it next time and so will you.

Good luck.

This is what I recommend for anybody taking a test of any kind. First and foremost RELAX. You know what you know and what you don't know will not mysteriously appear to you during the exam.

DO NOT CRAM, but do go over the material in the last few days before the test. Get plenty of sleep AND eat a light meal beforehand.

I took the 90 hour course by correspondence WITHOUT talking to any appraisers during that time. My 22 year old son took the course at the same time but we live 150 miles apart. I passed the course final the first time (it took my son three attempts, but he should not have tried the second one when he did) with some procrastination between finishing the course and taking the test. I also passed the state test the first time about three months later (it took about an hour - they give you four hours). This is not tooting my own horn, but shows how my methods work (my strong suit back in school was math and science, though). I did make sure that I understood the course more than just enough the chapter tests.

This is the way I have approached tests since I was in high school back in the middle of the dark ages.

When I took my course, I made flash cards of every test question, and every question at the end of each chaptor. When I was studying for the exam, I worked the flash cards 10 at a time until I knew the answers, then moved them to a "do daily" pile. I did them daily, and if I forgot the answer, they got moved back into the "do 10" pile.

Also, I did the test in the practice book over and over (not the same test right away) until I was consistently getting 90-95% on each exam. That left room for the test questions being different - I figured that even if 20% of the questions were different and I didnt' know the answer, I'd still pass.

Sure, it took work to do the flash cards, I had about 400, but I passed on the first try.

For what it's worth, I took the basic residential courses offered by both the IFA and Society of Real Estate Appraisers. The test was a breeze after taking those courses.

Jordan, the one factor about taking exams is to answer the questions you know first with the answer that you know is correct. Then go back and answer the ones you're unsure about and don't change any answers unless it happens to be a math question. I haven't take the exam since they came out with these new fangled computer tests :icon_rolleyes: :laugh: but I'm sure it's pretty much the same thing.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt to take an IFA, AI or other organization course. I know it's money but it's worth the time and effort. Also, there are numerous books published about taking the exam as well. BTW, Greg answered your question correctly. Also, reopen your books from the classes you took already. Go to the end of the chapters and work the exam questions there.

Funny Story

Let me tell you a funny story about flunking the appraiser exam. The local state appraisal teacher guru is an MAI-SRA, has been teaching for 30 years, active in all state affairs, is past chairman of the state appraisal board, etc. When appraiser licensing regulation first came into being he was active in helping the state get set up. They let him be the first appraiser to take the Virginia state appraisers exam. HE FLUNKED IT. They claimed there was a system failure and allowed him to retest.

About 15 years ago I was taking an AI appraisal class. The instructor told us that on his way down to the class site he was sitting on the airplane and got bored so he took the final exam. He got 60% and flunked it.

The point being: Appraiser education is all about teaching the test. Find you a local school that teaches the test so you can pass like everyone else does. That is all CE and appraisal education is about, CYA and passing the test.

Sadly, teaching to the test has become all too common in just about every aspect of education. If all you know is the answer to the test questions and not the theory behind, what's the point? Just read and study the material, forget about the test questions.

TC

Henry Harrison has a book entitled " How to Pass Any General or Residential Appraisal Examination, 1001 Questions & Answers". It might be tough if you are a trainee, but if you study this workbook and get to where you can pass these tests for licensing, study USPAP, then relax and take the test at your own pace....you will pass!!

This is good information for anyone to know and commit to memory, even if it happens to be above your licensure level!

Hang in There

It was not easy, and I didn't pass the first time, either. I studied all day and most of the night, every day, when I went to re-take the exam. It took a few times. I think a lot of it had to do with the extremely long drive from my home to the testing center. The time that I didn't have to get up at 5:00 AM, just to sit in 2 and a half hours of traffic was the time I passed. I recommend the site: http://www.learnappraising.com ... Excellent material there, and though not exactly the test questions, verbatim- I don't think I would have passed without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back