• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Failed the appraiser exam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto Robert & Pat plus "How to pass the real estate appraiser exam" by Fisher and Tosh. If you can take the practice exam tests and consistently score above 80 you will do fine on the actual exam.

I would reccommend this to, if your state has an exam prep class before the actual exam take it. In Missouri you can take an exam prep class in the same building the test will be held at for the 3 days prior to the exam and the exam is generally on a friday. So you are in class tues - thurs then you take the exam on friday.

Also, when you are taking your exam, circle the answers in your text book, then circle the number if you don't know the answer, because sometime later in the exam the question you are looking to find the answer to is in another question. Then at the very end fill in the scantron sheet.

Good luck next time,
Matt

I used a Fisher and Tosh Q&A book as well, passed first try. But I would say the Appraisal Institute courses are by far the best way to really learn about appraisal.

Robert Dunkle said:
Henry Harrison has a book entitled " How to Pass Any General or Residential Appraisal Examination, 1001 Questions & Answers". It might be tough if you are a trainee, but if you study this workbook and get to where you can pass these tests for licensing, study USPAP, then relax and take the test at your own pace....you will pass!!

This is good information for anyone to know and commit to memory, even if it happens to be above your licensure level!

I have an old copy of this book and yes it helped me pass the state exam.
Good Luck!

Test Anxiety

Jordan,

First, don't get discouraged! I missed passing the test twice, by 1 point! Talk about making you crazy.

My buddy said I was over studying. ( This coming from a guy with a degree in Real Estate and a Brokers License. ) I know that I had test anxiety. I'm in my 50's and hadn't taken any tests, to speak of, in many years. It didn't help that my mentor was a form filler, and taught all his trainees to be form fillers. At one point he had 20 trainees! So I saw a lot of questions that I had never even heard about, much less had any idea of the answer. Questions like, what is the interest on the 3rd payment on a 30 year mortgage that has 8% interest on a 100,470 dollar initial loan. Give me a break, I had a $5 Walmart calculator with me. I asked the lady if she had given me the correct test or not. :huh:

Also, don't get in a hurry to take it over. Give yourself some time to study. My situation was kinda serious because I had taken a class, at my mentors suggestion, that it turned out did not count towards my trainees hours, but would count towards my Appraisers certification. So I was effectively "out of business" until I could pass the test. No pressure there!

Good luck,

Rick

Keep on trying!

I passed the residential no problem in 1992 with the Dennis Tosh book, however, when I took the general, it took me four times (and I also had the new book). It was a completely different test every time so it did no good trying to remember the questions I knew I couldn't get the answer to. What made it really bad is that twice I only failed by 1 point. You have to make an 83 to pass in our state. www.learnappraising.com really helped me and now I understand the math required and use it in my appraisals (discounted cash flow analysis, residual values, etc.) It seems like a value for all the information and especially the practice tests and games. I think it was $49.00 for a year.

Jordan,

I am assuming you are taking the exam to either become licensed or a certified real estate appraiser, correct. Either way, the book I studied from was excellent: Questions & Answers to Help you Pass the Real Estate Appraisal Exams by Jeffrey D. Fisher & Dennis S. Tosh. I belive you can get it on Amazon, or anywhere on the internet for that matter. I have the fourth edition, there may be a newer out already, not sure. They may not be the exact questions that are on the exam, but they are definately the way they ask them. (does that make sense?) Hope this helps!

Good Luck!
Laura

Matt ... please check my profile and send me an e-mail or give me a call ... I have a client for you in St. Louis that I have just shown the light. He wants to talk to you.

Thanks bro!!

Testing next week: will of course PASS

I will be attempting my first stab at the state test next week. I have utmost confidence that I will at least pass, and most likely do very well. I find that confidence can carry anyone a long way.
I will post my results.
Now, I am off to spend the day training Home Depot associates to handle the sales of my products.
Best of luck to all !

Tiffany Marsh said:
I passed the residential no problem in 1992 with the Dennis Tosh book, however, when I took the general, it took me four times (and I also had the new book). It was a completely different test every time so it did no good trying to remember the questions I knew I couldn't get the answer to. What made it really bad is that twice I only failed by 1 point. You have to make an 83 to pass in our state. www.learnappraising.com really helped me and now I understand the math required and use it in my appraisals (discounted cash flow analysis, residual values, etc.) It seems like a value for all the information and especially the practice tests and games. I think it was $49.00 for a year.

www.learnappraising.com

I downloaded their demo and took a 30 question test. In two of the questions, the answer they gave is, IMHO, incorrect. For one, they indicate that USPAP requires the address of the subject property. USPAP does NOT require the address, it simply requires that you "adequately identify" the property. In some cases this is the legal description, etc. without an address!
I'm going to continue to evaluate it an MAY wind up using it. They said they will sell the OK. Cert Gen cram course for $69. It would be better than taking the test twice.

when i took the state exam, I found that there were many questions that were not covered in my class or class final. I guess I knew enough of the rest of the test that it wasnt a problem. The ones I was not familar with were answered by poe (process of elimination) I knew enough about the subject matter to eliminate some of the choices leaving a 50/50 chance.

good luck next time!!

jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back