• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA And Garage Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Picture this: Two-story brick with a detached garage.....The garage had the garage door removed and replaced with a framed wall and standard insulated door. Inside is the wife's hobby room.

So if I want to compare apples to apples (two-story w/garage), would it be logical to do a cost-to-cure for a garage door install in order to make it a functional garage? People want garages and not 'hobby' rooms....

I don't want to get into semantics of comparing a hobby room with sheds or whatever, it's a garage that needs a door to function as a garage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Timeismoney72

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Picture this: Two-story brick with a detached garage.....The garage had the garage door removed and replaced with a framed wall and standard insulated door. Inside is the wife's hobby room.

So if I want to compare apples to apples (two-story w/garage), would it be logical to do a cost-to-cure for a garage door install in order to make it a functional garage? People want garages and not 'hobby' rooms....

I don't want to get into semantics of comparing a hobby room with sheds or whatever, it's a garage that needs a door to function as a garage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would still call it a garage on the grid and hit it under functional for "cost to cure" to convert back to a garage. Had this happen before, I did not make the report "subject to" because there really was no FHA issue. Obviously explain..

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Agree with post #2 that will work or make the adjustment in the garage grids. Example: Comp-1 usable 2 car garage -$1,500 in grid or whatever your estimated cost to cure is.

D

Deleted member 134708

I 3rd. I'd do it on the 1st free line under porch/patio so It's near garage line. I'd say "functional garage." "Yes/no"

Absolutely nothing wrong with post 2 or 3 way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Done it that way on a lot of 'conversions' where the garage door is replaced with a door. Often find that the garage door is still in place behind that door or wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks