• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Condo and Wood destroying insects

Not open for further replies.

Jon D. Quinn

Freshman Member
Feb 4, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
With a unit not at ground level, would you require a termit letter?

Wally Jones

Senior Member
Jan 23, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
From HUD's web site, "Appraiser's Frequently Asked Questions":

8. Please explain the requirement for a wood destroying insect inspection.
A pest inspection is required for all structures except condominium units that are above ground-level.
The appraiser must note any infestation, any damage resulting from previous infestation,
repairs resulting from infestation, or repairs necessary due to infestation. If the area in which the
property is located is in a questionable probability area, that is, one that may or may not need a
termite cert, then the underwriter should contact the HOC for guidance. However, an appraiser
must still check for signs of infestation even in those areas designated as not prone to infestation.

Hope this helps.
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks