• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA - No Attic Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Pretty rare around here....

90's bi-level with no attic access. No scuttle, drop stairs, nothing. Builder sealed up the attic. I've seen this before a couple of times but never addressed it on an FHA assignment.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I would simply disclose pretty much what you describe. "NO ATTIC ACCESS AT TIME OF INSPECTION" Let the UW determine if they will accept it. Maybe you could ask for a home inspection, but doubt that would do much either, since the home inspector isn't going to have access either!

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
Pretty rare around here....

90's bi-level with no attic access. No scuttle, drop stairs, nothing. Builder sealed up the attic. I've seen this before a couple of times but never addressed it on an FHA assignment.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I had one this week, took picture of the former "scuttle", sealed and just explained.

D

Deleted member 134708

From FHA handbook.

k. Attic Observation Requirements (09/14/15)
https://appraisersforum.com/forums/javascript:AddHistory('#IID3kBTT');

Effective for case numbers assigned on or after September 14, 2015

The Appraiser must observe the interiors of attic spaces.

The Appraiser is not required to disturb insulation, move personal items, furniture, equipment or debris that obstructs access or visibility. If unable to view the area safely in their entirety, the Appraiser must contact the Mortgagee and reschedule a time when a complete visual observation can be performed, or complete the appraisal subject to inspection by a qualified third party. In cases where access through a scuttle is limited and the Appraiser cannot fully enter the attic, the insertion of at least the head and shoulders of the Appraiser will suffice.

If there is evidence of a deficient condition (such as a water-stained ceiling, insufficient ventilation, or smell of mold), the Appraiser must report this condition, and render the appraisal subject to inspection and repairs if necessary.

If there is no access or scuttle, the Appraiser must report the lack of accessibility to the area in the appraisal report. There is no requirement to cut open walls, ceilings or floors.

An observation performed in accordance with these guidelines is visual and is not technically exhaustive.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
unable to view the area safely in their entirety, the Appraiser must contact the Mortgagee and reschedule a time when a complete visual observation can be performed, or complete the appraisal subject to inspection by a qualified third party.
That's your answer. Subject to an inspection. one way or the other.

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
"If there is no access or scuttle, the Appraiser must report the lack of accessibility to the area in the appraisal report. There is no requirement to cut open walls, ceilings or floors."

This is the caveat I refer to when this happens.

Last edited:

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Nice information.

Thanks for your help while I got my comp pics today :)

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
Had one in a higher-end new construction. It had a panel area, but it was sealed / textured / painted. I just noted it in the report and provided a photo of it. Underwriter required the builder to cut it open on that one. I thought it was stupid on new construction, but went back and made my extra $100 the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks