• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Finished basement but...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Slacker wrote:
As it is, I did take Lee Ann's advice and I blew a call in to the realtor who told me that the bathroom entrance like the one in the subject was common for the neighborhood. Apparently, the guy who built this place did about 6 others in the neighborhood. One of my comps did have the same bath entrance and I couldn't notice any impact on value.

We kind of got off on the stair tangent so the bathroom issue went away. I mentioned that entrance in the report too.

In the end I had to make the decision of how much impact (if any) the bathroom and basement entrance had on the total value of the property. This joint had a price tag of $625k so with Dee Dee's estimate for a new entrance of a few thousand dollars and Mike's of about 6k we were talking about less than 1% of the total value of the property if it could have been done. I still don't think it could have. So in the end, there is really nothing "hanging over my head" as Pam put it.

I take it back. It sounds like you did do your homework and covered yourself quite well. Now please stop psychoanalyzing me. :roll: :p I don't discuss religion. 0X

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Oh boy....what fun. I have seen Dee Dee and she is tall!

Actually I ran into a problem like that recently on a duplex conversion to single family. Nice little mountain home...they cut a 5 x 5 and added a spiral metal staircase to the lower level.

slacker

I'll keep your warning to duck in mind if you'll just remember to use your measuring tape. Remember, size of hole in the floor, not length of stairs. Try it sometime....comes in handy in this profession.

Slacker, either you're very bad at explaining yourself or you're very good at making up stories to CYA.

<span style='color:blue'>Who pee'd in your oatmeal this morning?

We must just have real basements with higher code standards here in the big city and not root cellars with 6-inch wide treads and a 9-foot runs. No matter how you slice it, if you have an 8-foot basement ceiling and you stair run is longer than your opening, you wont have 8 feet of headroom as you take your last few steps. Can't be done.

Most below grade rooms around here are used as livable areas and not for growing "Weed" and cooking "Meth" like up in the mountains. Folks around these parts don't like to bend over as they go downstairs. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I do my best to be polite, as you put it, but you seem too bitter to just let anything go. And besides, I don't use a tape; I'm a Disto guy. Keep working hard and someday you might be able to afford one. That is if you can break away from your busy schedule as a stair consultant to the Lilliputian community.

Now I'm going. Happy New Year!!!!! :twisted:

Later</span>

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Slacker, you are not winning any points with the lady! I can just see you in your white 70s leisure suit with bell bottoms....

Disto, Disto Man!

slacker

Slacker, you are not winning any points with the lady! I can just see you in your white 70s leisure suit with bell bottoms....

Disto, Disto Man!

I couldn't afford the white one, mine's blue.......shining the beam at a disco ball might provide a good effect too???

If you listen close you can hear the Bee Gee's every time you take a measurement.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Slacker!

How about a new name for 2003. Slacker is just too demeaning for an appraiser of your stature. We surely would not want to give the impression that the appraisal business is for.....well....slackers.

slacker

Slacker!

Slacker is just too demeaning for an appraiser of your stature.

Are you refering to my physique or my prominence in the appraisal community?

I'm actually thinking about dropping the handle and joining the general population with my real name so everyone can abuse me properly. :lol:

I'll have to see how many cocktails I have on New Years Eve, maybe that can be a resolution of sorts.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Both of course! Have a happy NEW YEAR....and lay off the sauce (another example of a slacker).

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Slacker,

You asked a question, you received some good answers. Why you choose to slap those that gave you valid, experienced answers is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks