• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

GBA vs GLA Measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
You measure the outside of the home that is the what I would call the GBA, yet in the 1004 it calls for the Gross living area. Is there a difference?

How do you report that difference between the sketch of the GBA and the GLA or do you or should you?

Do you take off unheated enclosed porches, 3 seasons room, garages from the GBA or do you sketch your heated areas and then add your unheated?

What kind of adjustments to you give for your unheated areas?

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
The 1004 does not ask for the GBA, only the GLA. GBA, in residential work, is usually referring to 2-4 units.

In a single unit building, it is possible for the GLA to equal the GBA.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
What kind of assignment are you working on Ray? The 2/4 form deals with GBA instead of GLA. This is because many times units are located on the basement level. In this circumstance the GBA will include the basement square footage. Is your assignment a 2/4?

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
GLA refers only to above grade, fully finished living area. GBA, in the the context of a residential 2-4 unit appraisal includes GLA plus the area of the basement but does not include such things as porches, garages, carports, etc.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
What kind of assignment are you working on Ray? The 2/4 form deals with GBA instead of GLA. This is because many times units are located on the basement level. In this circumstance the GBA will include the basement square footage. Is your assignment a 2/4?

This is not an assigment. It is saturday afternoon thing because Rin Tin Tin and Sky King are not on TV anymore. So I have time to sit and think up these question that I see on the week days.

I see and have seen many 1004 reports where they measure the GBA leave off the unheated areas and the garage and call it GLA. I see some reports where they call it all GLA and have measured only the outside of the subject.

One of my old mentors only measured the outside, left off the porches and unheated areas and call it GLA.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Outside measurements of "above grade" living space (heated and finshed to a level comparable to the rest of the house) is GLA. GBA comes into play on the 1025 form. I just researched this yesterday (using the search function) and found what I needed. GBA is applicable to my assignment because the duplex and 2 comps are bi-level, with 1/2 the living area below grade. So reporting them as 750SF instead of 1500SF would be misleading and cause some funky adjustments.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Outside measurements of "above grade" living space (heated and finshed to a level comparable to the rest of the house) is GLA. GBA comes into play on the 1025 form. I just researched this yesterday (using the search function) and found what I needed. GBA is applicable to my assignment because the duplex and 2 comps are bi-level, with 1/2 the living area below grade. So reporting them as 750SF instead of 1500SF would be misleading and cause some funky adjustments.

Question and not trying to be a smart ***. Is the two comps bi-level duplex or single family? If they are single family can you use then for comparables on the 2 unit? What is your third comp?

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
The subject is a bi-level duplex. Two comps are also bi-level and one is a one story. The data shows rents vary with GBA and thus the value changes with the GBA. The one story has very similar area on the one level. I have not found a value differential for rentals having one story vs having stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks