• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Global Positioning

Do you use GPS?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infrequently

• Frequently

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Yeah,

I remember the children's mutha was always offended that I seldom got lost, and usually knew where I was going .. 'pilot's instinct' I called it ..

A

Anonymous

Hey Mike,

Where do you do your tx fishing? I fish a club and the BFL series. Usually a fe American Bass Anglers also. I use an eagle status with mapping. After gettinf lost on Murray one day, I bought one with a map. I had a hand held, thought I was close to the landing, but the coordinates had me on the other end of the lake. ( i forgot to set a waypoint when I left). Log story short, found a striper fisherman who told me I was one cove from where I wanted to be. Turns out, the map company had the coord's wrong on their maps.

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Bill,

Have been doing research on GPS’s, there’s a plethora of models all with different features, any suggestions?

jt

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
jt,

Been very happy w/Garmin III .. has the moving map feature, available pigtail for hooking into laptop/portable power and capability for hooking into remote antenna (my plastic van has the foolish metal oxide windshield, so doesn't receive very well.)

Prices may have abated .. I spent $368.00 @ MuttMart .. there are less costly models, but I've never checked them out. Incidentally, same Garmin III, but with aviation software goes for $1,000 or so .. ripoff the aviators, as usual. Recall that the Beech Bonanza (I believe) had armrests from Chrysler products .. $16.00 or so from Chrysler, and you don't wanna know what it'd cost from Beechcraft!

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Bill

Garmin's home page has a comparison chart for all their models; some specifically are for: on foot, water, road and air. I am considering GPSV(foot, road), upgrade from your GPS III(air)(current model is GPSIII Plus, $364). The GPS V has these additional features; 500 way points w/15 character for name and 50 characters for comments and 50/254 automatically calculated turn-by-turn route or manual point-to-point route, better screen resolution(4 level gray scale 256 x 160; GPSIII, B&W 100x64), 3000 tracklog points, WAAS(wide area augmentation system) capability points; hunting/fishing calculator, celestial info page, proximity waypoints and built-in calculator, audible alarms and 25hr battery life(GPSIII, 36hr) Retail $536, 11/25/01.

Garmin also has three models with color LCD screens. GPS12CX, 3 color, $386; Street Pilot Color Map, 16 color LCD(battery life 2.5hr ?) $890. Street PilotIII, 16 color LCD(battery life 2- 20hr) $1272. Color models appear a bit pricy and are more than I would like to spent unless they are worth the difference. K-Mart on line has the Street Pilots @ $700 and $1,000.

As an experienced hands-on user of GPS and its applicable application to finding your subject/comps, would appreciate any additional comments/info you may have, or a particular feature you desire or one you can live without.

Thanks,

jt

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
jt,

As usual, marketing demands 'new and better' all of which are not relevant to my/your use. All those additional features you've summarized may be useful to someone, but don't increase the usefulness of what I've got by one iota ..

Those sound like harsh words, but I wouldn't add one thing to the one that I've got!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks