• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Grow houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSBailey

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Seems these things are sprouting up all over SW-FLA.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071220/BREAKING01/375743147

Just saw this and thought I used a comp on that street a while back. Sure enough this is the one. I wonder if this would affect the HBU of that hanger amenity.

Incidentally the arresstee stated his occupation as "farmer".

Dr Seuss

Professional Status
State
Florida
We have had two grow houses discovered by police in the City of Oviedo (approx 33k people) in the last six weeks or so?

I'm curious, is there a college or large student population near where the raids happened or was this truly a "pot farm" where they were growing crops?

TSBailey

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Not a lot of students around here.

Most of these around here have been part of full fledged export grow ops. The police have said that these groups have ties to south Florida groups that are moving north due to increased police pressure. The one that was my comp is in an airpark in the eastern part of the county were it is about as rural as Sarasota gets. They apparenetly were using the hangar as a full fledged greenhouse.

There have also been a lot of these in North Port and Port Charlotte due to the very depressed housing market and the fact that some streets may only have 1 or 2 houses per half mile. Which provides for very few prying eyes. All of the ones I have heard about around here were cases where the entire house has been converted to agricultural use.

Abschatzer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
This would be a challenging income approach assignment...:)

Dr Seuss

Professional Status
State
Florida
We had the opposite...grow houses in a large PUD with close to a zero lot line configuration. Lots of prying eyes but they apparently had been doing it a while? I would imagine that it might become a hard business to hide after a while?

:new_rainfro:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks