• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

"growth" Checkboxes On Gse Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's Danny?

The blanket statement that page 1 agree with the 1004MC needs a re-visit, as old homes that are subject properties, can't be reflective of growth, which would be for new homes.

We can't grow more old homes so this portion of page 1 can't reflect the 1004MC unless the subject is also a new home.
It is only the One Unit Housing trends on page 1 that must match the 1004MC. The growth rate is not part of that category. Growth rate is part of the Neighborhood Characteristics category.

For all the discussion on this, I don't think it is rocket science. My younger child has grown over a foot in the past 18 months. Her growth rate is rapid. My older child has reached (according to the doctors) her maximum height. She will get no taller. Her growth rate is not slow, it is stable. I have been the same height for well over 30 years now. Is my growth slow or stable? :)

yeah but,

Once you stop growing up,
you start growing out.

:)

My point is that it doesn't make a damn how you define it so long as you actually define it within your report.

Without your definition you leave the reader up to guessing at your interpretation which violates USPAP.

Come up with a good definition that you feel comfortable with and put it in your report. Mark it however you desire based on your definition and no one can say you are wrong.

I totally concur that what I believe is not what Fannie Mae believes. That doesn't make them right either but it does support the old adage..."those who have the gold make the rules".

It is my not so humble opinion page 1 should reflect the over-all residential market, not just single family detached. This would include single family detached, townhouse, and condo. This then becomes quite broad in value. I'm also conflicted when it comes to present land use %. IN MY MARKET, it is very difficult to accurately populate this section without extensive market research. Quite often there are conversions of single family to 2 - 4 unit that are impossible to determine. This is especially true in older neighborhoods.

The top of page 2 clearly says "comparable properties". Again, in my opinion, there is no way this is going to match what is on page 1. It's also my opinion Fannie Mae felt a need to expand the reporting of the appraiser's determination of market trends by adding the 1004mc. The data in the inventory analysis asks for "comparable sales" and "comparable active listings (competition)". Again, that data won't match page 1 of the 1004 but it should match page 2.

The lower section of the MC form does provide space to SUMMARIZE the above information as support for my conclusions in the Neighborhood section of the report. I see this as two distinctly different reporting areas and have so said in my comments. I also have some heartburn with deciding what is the actual neighborhood. Quite often there might be several different subdivisions, MLS marketing divisions, and/or neighborhoods that buyers would consider for comparable properties and these might be as close as to be within a mile of the subject property. As an example, in N/E Colorado Springs there are 4 subdivisions where children attend the same grade school and all are, technically, competing for the same buyer. For that reason I often will conduct my search for comparable sales by MLS map grid.

As I said in my first post in this thread..."this is the kind of thing that needs to be covered in continuing education seminars or courses". Conversations with SARs, Underwriters, and VA Staff Reviewers/Appraisers has lead me to the conclusion there is much confusion about this and no one seems to have a single answer.

Danny, Thank you for your comment. I know my interpretation is in conflict with the "intent" of Fannie who has saddled us with a poorly designed form.

s
As I said in my first post in this thread..."this is the kind of thing that needs to be covered in continuing education seminars or courses". Conversations with SARs, Underwriters, and VA Staff Reviewers/Appraisers has lead me to the conclusion there is much confusion about this and no one seems to have a single answer.

Danny, Thank you for your comment. I know my interpretation is in conflict with the "intent" of Fannie who has saddled us with a poorly designed form.

There is actually a lot of education on the 1004MC. I taught a lot of seminars on that topic when it first came out. Two challenges - (1) Many have never attended a seminar to actually learn how to complete it correctly, and (2) Many who have attended have rejected the instructions because the formal instructions do not align with their personal views.

Another challenge is getting more appraiser to understand what a "neighborhood" actually is. Underwriter beatdowns have resulted in far too many who only look at a single subdivision, or, God forbid, only homes within a mile.

I admit that I was also not a fan of the form when first exposed. But the more I researched it and the more I used it, the more I realized that it was actually a good tool - if completed correctly. Many say that the 1004MC is useless, and they are right in a way - it is useless to them because they do not complete it correctly. A correctly completed 1004MC can add a LOT of credibility and support to the reported conclusions. Unfortunately, an incorrectly completed form (and that constitutes a high percentage of them) results in contradictory and confusing reports.

One thing that was truly exposed by the "big crash" is how important analysis of market segments is. Without it, one can have a very distorted and incorrect view of what is going on. Reporting the overall trends for all properties in a neighborhood has little utility in the appraisal of an individual property. What is far more important is the trends for properties like the subject (call it comparable, competing, or whatever). I saw neighborhoods, for example, where the overall trend was stable, but new home prices/values were falling dramatically. If the subject was a new home in such a location, then knowing that new home prices were falling was far more relevant than knowing that overall prices in the neighborhood were stable.

(1) Many have never attended a seminar to actually learn how to complete it correctly,
I attended a very early one and then they came out and then said oopsy doopsy...modify. useless in rural property.

I attended a very early one and then they came out and then said oopsy doopsy...modify. useless in rural property.
I live in Tennessee. I am familiar with rural :) I have done many 1004MCs for rural properties.

What I said before still applies - It is only useless if done incorrectly. Done correctly, it provides the support it was designed to provide.

But you do point out a third challenge I overlooked - many of the early instructors did not actually teach the material correctly, because of their own personal views about the form. I know because I attended a few such sessions.

Tell you what - I will make an offer to all Forumites. For the first person who can provide an example of a correctly completed 1004MC form that is useless, I will provide $100 certificate to the CE provider of their choosing. To anyone who takes up this challenge, remember what I have written many times - the grid is only part of the form :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back