• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Halfway House for Sex Offenders---Does it affect value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
There was a newstory this morning about a group of
Vancouver, WA neighbors who have asked for a reduction
in their assessed value because there is a halfway house
for sex offenders in their neighborhood.

Aren't you glad you don't have that assignment?

elliott

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
We have a program in Colorado where the names and addresses of known sex offenders are posted to a website so you can check before buying a house. There has been some grumblings that this has negatively influenced market value in the areas where these people reside. I don't know of any proof that this has actually occurred.

Randy Beigh

My first statement to the neighbors would be to, put up or shut up. Let them prove there is any loss of value.

Further, it is not in their best interests to publicize such things. Taking out ads and news stories only adds to the problem. Keeping a low profile should be in order.

If I were trying to sell my house in this neighborhood at the present time, I would be very annoyed at my neighbors.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
New York's liberals pushed through a condition form necessary to be included with each real estate sale (or an immediate $500 to the purchaser for failing to provide same.) Some are folding the $500 into the ax'ing price, rather than admit to such adverse external influences .. otherwise, to fail to admit to it could leave one open to even greater legal consequences ..

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Demand. Demand. Demand.

If the neighborhood is predominately families-this would likely result in a diminution in value.

If the neighborhood is transitioning to a community of pedophiles-values may go up.

Keep tabs on exposure periods of listings; the neighborhood will seek stability.

If you can't measure it, you can't adjust it-----------------unless you sound experiential basis and can sell it.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Verne, Verne, Verne, you been out smoking those salmon again??????

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I thought it was tell the Truth the Whole Truth unless it affects the value in a negative way.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
If you can't measure it, you can't adjust it.

I have pretty much taken that line. On a recent job I was wrestling with a situation where there was no market data to base an adjustment on. Freind of mine asked me a very simple question.

If this house were for sale and there was an identical one that didn't have this problem. Would you pay the same for them?

Of course the answer is no. Made me think hard. There are times that an adjusment is appropriate and there is no data to back you up.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If there was not a stigma, the homeowners wouldn't be raising cain about these facilities, or with probation offices in residential areas, or with sex offenders being in their neighborhood. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I know I wouldn't want to buy in the immediate proximity of such a facility.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks