• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Help With Appraisal For Straw Bale Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetVet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Redfish, are you available for consultation? I have plans for a post and beam home with straw bale insulation and would like an experienced appraiser from Michigan.
Thanks!
PetVet

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Post and Beam Details - Straw Bale Building - Northern ...
Post and beam designs must be carefully adapted for use with straw bales to ensure that the two elements integrate well. First decide where to place the
https://www.northernarchitecture.us/straw-bale-building/post-and-beam-details...
Secret Base Design
... post & beam with straw bale infill, ... Small structural straw shed. Post & beam home - Part One. Post & beam ... (enough to lift by one string and not fall apart ...
secretbasedesign.com/SBD_Straw_Basics.html
Straw Bale Home Basics - InterNACHI
Straw Bale Home Basics. ... with straw-bale infill for insulation. ... load-bearing straw bale homes (not post-and-beam homes that use straw bale insulation) ...
nachi.org/straw-bale-home-basics-history.htm
Disadvantages of Straw Bale Construction

PetVet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Redfish, are you available for consultation? I have plans for a post and beam home with straw bale insulation and would like an experienced appraiser from Michigan.
Thanks!
PetVet
Thanks for the links Mike! We had a 4,000sq ft straw bale veterinary hospital built in 2007 in Kansas City- planning department loved it! Folks in Michigan seem to be coming along in understanding this type of construction. Do you know of any appraisers in Michigan that might be able to work with me on an appraisal for a straw bale home? Appreciate your help everyone!

PetVet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Thanks for the links Mike! We had a 4,000sq ft straw bale veterinary hospital built in 2007 in Kansas City- planning department loved it! Folks in Michigan seem to be coming along in understanding this type of construction. Do you know of any appraisers in Michigan that might be able to work with me on an appraisal for a straw bale home? Appreciate your help everyone!

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Where in Michigan? SE, SW, etc

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
We did one in N Texas a few years back. Home was originally apprised as a 'stucco' home, we had to go back after it went into foreclosure. Here are the problems we found. Hay not properly dried. Structural support members were not appropriate. Hay not sealed, with exposed hay allowing bugs to get into the hay. The last is a biggie in that the bugs can be an OMG NOW WHAT situation.

Whoever your builder is must be knowledgable in the proper construction. I would suggest you ask to inspect another hay bale home this builder has completed.

PetVet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
We did one in N Texas a few years back. Home was originally apprised as a 'stucco' home, we had to go back after it went into foreclosure. Here are the problems we found. Hay not properly dried. Structural support members were not appropriate. Hay not sealed, with exposed hay allowing bugs to get into the hay. The last is a biggie in that the bugs can be an OMG NOW WHAT situation.

Whoever your builder is must be knowledgable in the proper construction. I would suggest you ask to inspect another hay bale home this builder has completed.
What a disaster! Should have been plastered completely inside and out to prevent both insects and moisture. I do have a contractor with about 20 years experience (thankfully!). Looking for an appraiser that can help the bank with a comp. Would you say using a "stucco" construction a reasonable comparison?
Thanks,
PetVet

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hi Artemis,
SE, near Ann Arbor (of course :))
I live 50 miles from Ann Arbor but don't cover Ann Arbor but know people who do. Purpose of the appraisal?

PetVet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
I live 50 miles from Ann Arbor but don't cover Ann Arbor but know people who do. Purpose of the appraisal?
Greenstone Farm Credit would like to know what this type of home would appraise for a mortgage loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks