• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

High Rents In Silicon Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Land was all free to use or homestead prior to Truman's land grab about 1947. Ever notice that the founding fathers were always listed as farmers and surveyors, people like George Washington wold saddle up the horse, pack their tripod and transit, then take off surveying land that they could record deeds on. Watching western movies it was always the ranchers vs. the farmers, the ranchers would graze and drive their cattle and sheep, but the farmers would fence and homestead portions of the land, they hated the ranchers who would run their stock right through the fenced homesteads. Around here in the Bay Area when I was a kid the "Oakies" escaping the dust bowl would stake out land and build tar paper shacks with chickens, goats, etc. I went to school with those kids before the war and they would wear rags, if they had shoes their mothers sometimes sewed cloth onto rubber tire scraps. This was in Walnut Creek where there are million dollar homes on those homesteads now.

I just stop cutting my lawn. I found it more profitable per hour doing appraisals than cutting my lawn.

No doubt you are right.
I just stop cutting my lawn. I found it more profitable per hour doing appraisals than cutting my lawn.

Yes, Normando. I'm sure that is true here too. I should at least hire someone to do the front, including lotsa parkways on a corner lot. PITA. :leeann:
But, I've been mowing since elem school. Bad habit, but hard to quit. Also, I can be a cheap *******. :leeann2:

The 97 year old lady facing eviction died last Thursday. Her roommate of 32 years will continue to stave off eviction since she technically subleased a room. The attorneys will continue the lawsuite citing elder abuse, breach of contract, and intentional inflection of emotional distress.
I'm sorry she passed away but at issue is a verbal lease valid for such a long time. I watch Judge Judy a lot and she always side with written documentation.
A verbal lease agreed 66 years ago could have restrictions and all original parties now have passed away to confirmed what was agreed upon.
It will be interesting to see the outcome of this lawsuit. Most likely the owner will settle out of court.

In our state, all leases greater than one year need to be in writing in order to be enforceable according to the statute of frauds. Only in CA would a tenant think that they have what amounts to ownership rights as a tenant. A subleasor's rights don't exceed those rights under the original lease.

In California, it's same thing that leases more than one year needs to be in writing to be enforceable. That's why it'll be interesting to see what the verdict will be if it ever goes to court.
It will set a precedent for other tenants to sue.

San Jose has rent control but not strict. Now politicians thinking of limiting increase to CPI.
San Francisco has strict rent control since 1979 and some landlords go around it and get out of rental business. Now the politicians are thinking of passing a bill which makes it illegal to evict tenants who are teachers in the city during the school year. If passes, existing teacher tenants will benefit but in future, landlords will give low priority in renting to teachers.

San Jose has rent control but not strict. Now politicians thinking of limiting increase to CPI.
San Francisco has strict rent control since 1979 and some landlords go around it and get out of rental business. Now the politicians are thinking of passing a bill which makes it illegal to evict tenants who are teachers in the city during the school year. If passes, existing teacher tenants will benefit but in future, landlords will give low priority in renting to teachers.

Not likely the SF law will allow an owner to discriminate against a teacher on the basis she/he cannot be evicted during the school year. Doesn't the school year run 12 months? :)

Teachers don't work during summer. Landlords will not state it directly but if teachers given special privileges, landlords can find a reason in denying potential teacher tenants. High demand for housing allow landlords control who to rent. Sometimes politicians thing they're doing good is making things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back