• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Homeowner Is Angry At People In His Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Got an order to do an appraisal in a condo complex I know pretty well, done a bunch of work in the complex, so I figured "cool, a pretty easy one"

I call the HO, who asks me if I know the complex. I say I've done a couple units in the complex (trying to be conservative - thank god I did) and he says

"well, I know I could put it on the market right now and get $45,000 for it, but a bunch of idiots who lived here have been selling their units for $30,000 - is that gonna cause a problem doing the appraisal"

Now, I know the sound of a homeowner who has probably seen an appraisal come in low, and the bells in my head were going off big time, so I answer to him that I really can't comment how the sale in the complex compare to his, and as I haven't seen his property, or done any of the research, making any kind of an opinion of value would be very premature, to which I get back

"well, I don't wanna have a f*cking appraisal done if you aren't gonna appraise my unit for at elast $40,000, cause thats what it's worth"

I bit my tongue, and didn't ask him why it went down $5K in value in less than a minute, and just repeated that I really couldn't determine value until going through the appraisal practice, to which I get a response I really can't post here without Wayne getting mad at me, let it just be said that there were a LOT of four letter words, and I don't think I heard more than 2 or three words which were not very insulting to appraisers, the people who have been selling in his complex, and about my mother. I listened to the tirade for about 90 seconds, and he paused, and I asked "so would you like to schedule and appointment"..........The dial tone in my ear was pretty rapid........

BTW, I would be shocked if he could get more than around $33K for the unit - highest sale I have seen in the complex was $30K, and that one was TOTALLY redone.......oh well

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Masochistic baby...beat me one more time! Why would you want to get in the middle of that one???? No matter what you do it isn't going to be good. I would run like the wind!

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Well, I was reasonably confident that no matter what I said he would NOT schedule an appointment.......Hey, it's always fun to tweak a jerk every once in a while, ya know??

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Condo's - doncha love 'em? My cohort in crime had similar experience. It was a condo complex that she had personally managed for 10 years. She knew each unit in and out. Seller tries to tell her how much better his unit is that all the rest, not realizing she owned two of them for 10 years and her mother lived in one. The most expensive unit sold was $67K, the seller had paid $45 for his, thought it worth $80K. We passed on that one, too.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
MH, he wasn't mad at you...... he's mad because he is getting VERY near to the end of the list in the yellow pages. ;)
He's not having a good shopping trip. :D

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
I wouldn't have stayed on the phone that long! The first 4 letter word that came across the line would result in a ....CLICK....

Don't submit yourself to that kind of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks