• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"were no outrageous price increase of 20-30% per year from 2002 to the end of 2005 and there were no speculators running around to buy anything and everything and there were not so many homebuyers who wanted not only a home for themselves but second, third or fourth homes while they were not even could afford the first one, then there are nothing there to burst. "

Moh, I am following your logic. In my market from the time I started appraising homes, the annual increase was about inflation, slightly more...from 3 - 5% annual, and best tracked by vacant lot sales (in this market)..a real baseline not affected by depreciation.

One sub..about 10 yr old developed in stages yielded $12,000 (1996 prices); $14,000 (98); $16,000 (2000); $18,000 (2002); $23,000 (2003); $35,000 (2005)......clearly such inflation was unjustifed and unsupportable over the long haul.

Local papers are now saying that house prices will fall this month nationwide by between 1 - 2% but argues the local (Arkansas) market will not drop..but if it is nationwide, then eventually no matter what the pundits say, its gonna drop..

Since inflation goes on..a flat market is a drop.

The last NAR data also showed existng home prices actually went up $2K even in the face of the higher inventory levels.
Brad,
I know you got your eyes on the market, not only in CA but other similar states like FL, NV or NY, but please don't rely or quote NAR on your market perception because they got no credibility left in their forecast and market trend analysis. Everyone knows that they are bias when it comes to the market forecast and trend analysis because it serves their interests. They are changing their ideas almost every week and each time, they retract from what they said earlier not because they wanted to be accurate and honest but because they just cannot fool people anymore. So, if it was obvious to everyone that market was declining, they would force to say the market is declining but alwasy they leave a window open there that it is only a temporary event and a market correction. I don't know how long this temporary event is going to last. May be when the market gave back what was gained unreasonably in the last few years. If the return of unreasonble gains back to the market is considered to be the market correction, then it would be a big decline (+/-50%)that would be considered a burst. No? As I said earlier, 5-7% increase per year in residential market is typical and normal increase but 25-30% increase in every year for 4 years is questionable and you know that it happended in some states like CA, FL, NV, NY, AZ, OR, Col. You are real estate professional and you have access to markets and should have your own analysis and perception of the market.
Realtors are good marketers and can analyze the market if they wanted but it is not in their interest to do so. They are marketer first and market analyzer second and by their nature of being a marker first, they cannot anounce marketer decline even if they know it.

Last edited:
Putting on the finishing comments for one right now:

40 yr old house in good condition, purchased 08/01/2005 for $205,000.

Research of last years sales that could be considered comps for that sale shows that sale price was probably supportable at that time.

As of today using 5 very recent sales with unknown concessions, 1 pending with unknown concessions, 2 active listings: $172,000.

That's a 16% decline.

(How much screaming and cursing to you all think I'm about to get?)

Builder Lennar slashes earnings forecast

Builder Lennar slashes earnings forecast

By John Spence, MarketWatch
Last Update: 11:08 AM ET Sep 8, 2006

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- Lennar Corp. became the latest residential builder to lower its profit outlook Friday when the Miami company knocked down its third-quarter estimate because of a weakening market for homes.

"The U.S. housing market has continued to deteriorate," said Chief Executive Stuart Miller in a written statement released Friday morning.

Lennar (LEN : Lennar Corporation) joins the steady stream of bad news coming out of the home builders' sector this week which included multiple earnings revisions.

The sector has fallen heavily since hitting their peak in the summer of 2005 -- the Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction Index has lost about 40% over the past 12 months as investors worry about higher mortgage rates and cooling home sales. Lennar shares are off about 28% in 2006 through Thursday's close.

On Thursday, Beazer Homes USA Inc. (BZH : Beazer Homes USA, Inc.) lowered its 2006 earnings estimate for the second time, on plunging sales and a rising cancellation rate. The company said sentiment is worsening and many buyers are having difficulty selling their existing homes. See full story.

Beazer's warning came a day after Hovnanian Enterprises Inc. (HOV : Hovnanian Enterprises, Inc.) said its third-quarter profit fell 34% from a year earlier and KB Home (KBH : ) cut its full-year view. See full story.

"A steady diet of negative press on the declining housing market has kept a large number of potential buyers on the sidelines," said Hovnanian Chief Executive Ara Hovnanian during the company's conference call Thursday.

"Home builders have generally been surprised by the speed with which conditions have changed, and by the breadth of the slowdown in terms of the number of markets that have been impacted," the CEO said.

Also this week a realtors group said home prices will likely go down as the market makes its way through the inventory overhang of unsold homes after the speculative excesses seen in recent years.

"This year sales are slowing, homes are plentiful and sellers are negotiating," said David Lereah, chief economist for the National Association of Realtors. See Economic Report.

"Given difficult market conditions, we have limited our land purchases while we have remained focused on even flow production and minimizing completed inventory," said Lennar's Miller.

The company said it saw only a 5% drop-off in net new orders for the quarter.

Yet Lennar cited "increased sales incentives along with certain land adjustments" as the driving forces behind its lowered third-quarter outlook.

The company said it would report third-quarter results Sept. 26.
A.G. Edwards analyst Gregory Gieber downgraded shares of Lennar on Friday to sell from hold.

"Crystallizing our decision to downgrade our rating on Lennar was our discovery of the extent to which the company has been unable or unwilling to slow its production machine and its resulting large [speculative] inventory of completed or nearly complete homes," Gieber wrote in a research note.

Lennar shares were down 2% to $42.37 Friday morning.
greendot.gif

John Spence is a reporter for MarketWatch in Boston.

Growing risk of U.S. recession 2007

NEW YORK, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Investment bank HSBC has revised downward its forecast for 2007 economic growth and cautioned that the risk of an outright recession is growing as a retreat in housing threatens household balance sheets.

The company argues that while corporate profits have remained sky-high, the incomes of most Americans have effectively fallen over the last 18 months.

That, say economists Stephen King and Ian Morris, could be a recipe for hard times in an economy that relies on consumers for over two-thirds of its strength.

"Never before have households been so hard hit at a time companies are doing so well," the two economists said in a research note to clients. "So it's likely that the U.S. could slow down quite a long way."

They now see gross domestic product expanding just 1.9 percent next year, down from an earlier forecast of 2.6 percent and from an expected rate of growth around 3.5 percent for 2006.

Making things worse, the bank says, a mammoth budget deficit means the U.S. government has "less room to maneuver" if the economy does skid off track.

In the last recession, a massive round of tax cuts and a super-loose monetary policy helped the economy get a second wind. Americans will have no such luck this time around, King and Morris warn.

Economy Shows Signs of Strain From Oil Prices

oil.gif

The biggest reason to think that the economy could avoid another downturn is that today's high prices are to a large extent a byproduct of robust economic growth. During previous oil shocks - in 1973 and from 1979 to 1981 - prices rose because supplies were cut off.

Today's surge in oil prices is a result of demand from consumers in the United States and China, leading to a sustained rally that began at the end of 2003.

A Cautionary Housing Tale from Japan

http://www.safehaven.com/article-5846.htm
September 08, 2006

A Cautionary Housing Tale from Japan
by M.A. Nystrom

In the summer of 1990, with my freshly minted Bachelor's degree from the University of Washington, I went off to Japan to make my fortune. In the late 1980's if you recall, Japan was the place to be - Japanese management was all the rage, the Nikkei was soaring, and Japanese businessmen were buying up impressionist paintings and prime properties around the world at record prices. Americans were fretting and wringing their hands at the prospect of being displaced as the world's supreme economic power.

In spite of all these good economic reasons to stake a claim in Japan, the reason I was there had little to do with all of that. While I had heard of the "bubble economy" in college, I frankly had no idea what it meant. (Having just graduated from college, I barely knew my *** from a hole in the ground, and it was only after leaving school that my true education began.)

The real reason I was in Japan was because I'm half Japanese and I'd just graduated from college without a clue of what to do with my life. So I set off to meet my relatives and discover my roots in the land of the Rising Sun. While I had a job and a place of my own in Tokyo, I spent a good deal of time at my uncle's house in Yokohama. My uncle is a salary man (sarariman), on the young side of middle age at the time, married and with two kids. In many ways he was an average Japanese enjoying the fruits of a booming economy. Japan was on the rise. Between 1955 and 1990, land prices in Japan appreciated by 70 times while stocks increased 100 fold! You might remember when it was claimed that the land under the Imperial Palace in Tokyo was worth all of Manhattan, and that the land in Tokyo alone was worth more than all the US.

Oh, so that's what they meant by a bubble!

In spite of the booming economy, my uncle, like many Americans today, was shut out of the housing market. Prices always seemed too high, but a pullback never materialized, so he waited until the right time to buy. While he waited, prices spiraled up and away until at last they were hopelessly out of reach. By the time I arrived in 1990, his family was living in a government-owned, rent controlled flat that was, by any standards, small: Two rooms that were each about 12 square feet, a small kitchen and a tiny bath to serve three adults (including his mother) and his two kids. (Japanese rooms are multi-use rooms, so at night when you're done eating and watching TV, the furniture is put away and the futons come out and everyone sleeps together on the floor). His was a unit on the first floor of a huge concrete building that sat in the middle of a sea of identical buildings. The picture below is not his actual building, but you get the idea.

And now to the meat of the story that I've found myself telling with increasing frequency of late: My uncle thought that he would never ever be able to afford a house in Japan, and that he would live out his dying days in that little rented flat. In his experience, housing prices went only in one direction: up. But by 1992, two years after the Nikkei peaked, something strange began to happen - housing prices started drifting down. Of course my uncle didn't know that the Nikkei had just put in its all time high, and would ultimately fall by 80% over the next 13 years. Anyone paying attention to the stock market most certainly thought that it was just taking a necessary and well-deserved breather, and that new highs were just around the corner.

By 1994, housing prices continued to drift lower until some units started to become, with considerable stretching and creative financing, affordable. So that year, by taking out a two generation, 60-year mortgage -- with his 16-year old son on the hook for the remaining years that he might not be able to pay -- my uncle bought his first home. The family had to scrimp, and both he and my aunt had to work more hours, but they were finally, proud homeowners. And it was a nice house - larger than their old house (but not much), in a nicer neighborhood, and on a higher floor with a view of the treetops. I even helped them move in. It was a happy day. I don't recall the exact price he paid, but I remember thinking that it sure was a lot! Somewhere north of half a million dollars. Those were the kinds of details were lost on me at that age.

I left Japan in 1994, and didn't return again for a visit until late 1998. In the intervening 4 years, housing prices had continued to fall, and fall, and fall to the point where my uncle's house was worth only half of what he had paid for it four years earlier: A couple hundred thousand, up in smoke, just as Japan's economy was mired in a 13-year slump. But he stuck with his loan, hoping the value will come back. And one day, it just might. So he makes his payments each month faithfully, and when he can no longer make them, his son will take over and pay off the remaining balance. And sometime, in the remaining 48 years on the mortgage, the house may once again be worth more than what is owed on it.

The reason I've been telling this story so frequently is that, as housing prices in Boston start to come down , my home-less friends and acquaintances are perking up, excited that they may actually be able to own a home of their own - something previously thought to be an impossibility. But when I go out to the Sunday open houses with them, what I see is still, in my opinion, overpriced. I certainly wouldn't mortgage my life for 30 years for any of it. And so I tell the story of my uncle, but for the most part it falls on deaf ears. I have no problem in believing that housing prices actually can come down, because I've seen it with my own eyes. Since I learned that lesson from the Original Bubble Economy, I've since seen many bubbles, and this chart, from the EWI special report on (Real Estate: Boom or Doom) clearly depicts a bubble:

Since its peak in January of this year, the homebuilders index has fallen by almost 50%, is hovering near its low and threatening to break down further: See Bloomberg Chart Here. Stocks always move before the news. As late as this June, Time was still way behind the curve, featuring its "Home $weet Home" cover:

But now the tidal wave of bad news is hitting the media. The Dallas Morning News reports:

Never in the history of the United States have so many home owners hocked so much of their biggest asset, hoping that rising prices would let them outrun their debt forever. The resulting picture isn't pretty. Last week, Moody's Investors Service reported that the delinquency rate in the home equity loan market rose 11 percent for the quarter ended in April from the same period a year earlier.

According to Moody's, delinquent loans now represent nearly 7 percent of the total existing pool of home equity loans. "This is the 11th consecutive month that the home equity delinquency growth rate has risen," Moody's Ben Garber said.

The Moral of the Story

Most of the people I know today either glibly, or grimly, believe that housing prices in the US will never come down - or if they do, it won't be that much - just like my Japanese uncle once did. The glib ones are those who already own a home and are just waiting for the higher prices that they know are coming. The grim ones have been shut out and believe that they'll never own a home, and so are ready to pounce on the first opportunity they can afford to buy, even if the house is not suitable either physically or financially. But I know that just as prices spiraled up for years, they can also spiral down for years.

The advantage my uncle had of renting a government-subsidized unit was that he was able to save a lot of money for his house. But had he waited only a few more years, instead of jumping on the first thing he could afford, he could have bought twice as big a house, or had half as large a mortgage. And his life would have been quite different. My Uncle already learned this lesson once, and I pass this story along so that you also might benefit from his experience.

When I finish this article and post it, I'm going to get on the horn to my friend T, who is a real estate agent in Seattle. The last time I spoke with him, he told me that things were holding up well in Seattle - business was brisk, and prices were still rising - a big contrast to Boston. I'm going to get his perspective, and see what kind of advice he's giving current buyers and sellers. And tomorrow I'm going to call the agent for the house next door to mine, which has been for sale now for about 3 months. I've never seen anyone visit it, and I've never seen an open house, so I think I'll call the agent and see what I can find out.

believe that housing prices in the US will never come down - or if they do, it won't be that much - just like my Japanese uncle once did.

Our local papers today reported that housing prices were likely to fall this month. But in the same breath they predicted that Arkansas would not see a fall in price, just a slowdown in sales....i beg to differ and perhaps this month, sure.

The 900 # gorilla no one mentions here is that prices are being held up by 2 factors...builder concessions that amount to 10 - 15% of the price of the home; and, appraisers willing to ignore those concessions and continue to appraise houses for list prices even when the sellers are paying all closing costs, first year's mortgage, and offering upgrades like granite countertops and delux carpeting and fixtures.

Moh has hit the nail on the head.Many appraisers and R E Agents have never seen a serious down market.During the early 1990's in my neighborhhod home values dropped between 25% and 50% within a short 24 months.Many investors were caught in the middle and forclosures shot up quicker than
an ENRON stock rally.I was a RE Broker then and my income dropped to soup kitchen levels in less the a few months.All of the hot shot agents were soon
in new jobs (real jobs).I remember one of the best agents in the area lost his house (with a pool) , Wife , Kid and Fido.The last time I saw him he was teaching part time at a local school.One broker made the news when he was tackled in a parking lot by FBI agents , something about putting renters in pre forclosure homes, a favorite broker scam.The drop this time will be from much higher heights and will take many more innocent folks down the drain.Home prices are the last to fall because of the pie in the sky attitude of most RE Agents and brokers.They will still stick to the soft landing dream until the eviction police show up to toss them from your over priced storage bin.All those leased cadillacs will also need a home.Cheer up , REO'S are on the way.

Randolph,

No- I do not know how much of the concessions are reported; however, most boards (do not know about yours or mine) require that concessions be reported. The MLS systems all require that the actual selling price be shown- most have a fine if the broker fails to do that.

Randolph, please pardon me as I do not want to blantantly question your data since you seem to pay attention to the actual data- but can you please tell me how you would know what percentage of sales occur with such concessions?

You see, from your statement it is clear that you are seeing that from deals you work on and maybe from some verifications, but, if as you seem to indicate, the brokers are failing to report this, how would you actually know?

If this is extrapolation from the more limited sample you have then please say so. I'll tell you that nationally, based only upon the contacts I see- and they are numerous, although statistically unsatisfying- I have not seen much of an increase in concessions.

Perhaps it is endemic to your specific market.

Moh,

Sorry to get your feathers in a bunch over NAR stuff.

Please note that my post contained no NAR pronouncements. It contained only the actual data from their surveys. You can ascribe any motivations you like to their analysis but I am wondering if you are now actually questioning the data itself?

So, would it make you feel any better if I told you that only a month ago I had a conference call with Fidelity's chief economist and he predicted dead falt price appreciation nationally thru the middle of 2007? Or would it help if I mentioned that he told me that his last meeting before that with Freddie indicatd they were actually bullish on SoCal prices?

I am not saying I agree, nor can I offer proof. What I am saying is that better minds than mine are disagreeing with you. Forgive me if I choose to believe these professionals whose actal job it is to predict the outcome and who do actual data analysis over your own musings and anecdotal evidence.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back