• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear the reason the yield curve inverts at all, is because The Fed can only mess with the short term curve:)

The Fed takes credit in being the control freak, but most of it's power is to choke off things. A string can pull but cannot push. The Fed cannot reasonably stay on the wrong side of market forces, except for a short time.

What does this mean? :shrug: Merry Christmas!:rof:

Pam,

Your statement, "Skewed data????? What would the stats be WITHOUT those sales included???"

I do not know but am quite sure you have hundreds of instances in which values were reportedly overblown. So, why don't you tell us? Your anecdotal data is available to you. Are there are hundreds that you have gathered over the preceding months? How about telling us just how many?

THEN, after we bleed out all those who will NOT end up going under since too high a value does not automatically result in default, we can see just how this will actually affect the markets.

And BTW, I did not say the data was skewed- I just questioned the source-as I have many times before.

Terrell,

Your quote,

"Are sales still increasing like 9 mo. ago when this thread started? Who has been closer to right? Bubbleheads like Austin and me? "

Sales of existing homes increased for the last month reported- nothing dramatic, but an increase nonetheless.

As to who is right, you are waaaaay too early.

Next, "And I agree with Pam. Fraud and concessions are propping up prices. Take those away and the figures would be much worse."

Now all you have to do is to tell me how much worse. Of course fraud is a big concern. And, if concessions are as high as you claim (for existing housing) then you ought to be able to measure that, no?

So, forgive me while I disagree. I think that (and yes, it is a guess because I do not have the data anymore than you guys do) that even after you total up all the fraud and concessions they are not going to amount to a pimple of a gnat's *** in overall impact.

This is a market where a million homes (njationaloy) change hands per month. As serious as all this is, a few hundred or even a thousand fraud deals will just not move the overall market much, if any.

Moh,

You ask if I know something you do not. Actually it is not about knowing something; rather, it is about remembering something you already know.

Real estate markets move according to the basic underlying economics.

Supply- current oversupply in new construction. Yes. However, this oversupply will dry up, and I think by late 2007. Sorry, I know I am once again agreeing with the Maestro and that you think little of him. So be it. However, we will not escape the fact that every new home that does get built uses up one more available site. And no one is making more land very quickly.

Demand- remains strong. People have not stopped wanting a home.

Utility- unchanged for the most part.

Purchasing power- and that is what you are surmising will change. I do not think it will change that much. I do know that interest rates can go up and outlined one reason for that. BUT, if all these layoffs in construction hit home why isn't unemployment going up? Further, the revised GDP figures show a rapidly slowing overall economy if the trend holds, And, if that trend holds, you will not see short term rates change much to the upside. Add to that the ever declining US dollar that would cause rate increases now looks like it may only offset the slowing growth.

Further, even after how many rate increases (?) we still see the long term rates holding fairly steady. That is because Wall St. controls long term rates and not the Fed. Hence the inverted yield curves we have seen so frequently.

In the end, if what you all seek is to declare victory, just bloody well say so.
For my part, everything looks just like I expected. A correction underway and my prognostication is fully in line with the timing of other market corrections ending.

Now Terrell, this will probably just get you angry, but I AM MORE right than the bubbleheads- at least so far. Price declines have been moderate overall, so no bubble. And I disagree that percentages are not the only way to measure it- they absolutely ARE the way to measure it.

Come back to me towards the end of 2007 and THEN we will see what the history and the facts show. In the meantime, please spare me the anecdotal "proof" you guys keep offering. It is conjecture- at best.

Brad

As serious as all this is, a few hundred or even a thousand fraud deals will just not move the overall market much, if any.
Or, put another way, typical market fluctuations dwarf the effect of fraud, let alone market trends to increase seller concessions. Well, that's pretty close to putting it the same way:huh:

As far as builders and home sellers in general are concerned, increased seller paid costs merely reflect a decrease in their realized EP:)

Of course, the recent 80/20 buyer or "legal flipper" might be looking at negative EP in the short run:unsure:

Brad,
Real estate markets move according to the basic underlying economics.
100% agree with that theory
Supply- current oversupply in new construction. Yes. However, this oversupply will dry up, and I think by late 2007. Sorry, I know I am once again agreeing with the Maestro and that you think little of him. So be it. However, we will not escape the fact that every new home that does get built uses up one more available site. And no one is making more land very quickly
Oversupply problem is not only about new construction, it is also about existing homes. Existing homes represent more than 80% of housing markets
Demand- remains strong. People have not stopped wanting a home.
I agree that people have not stopped wanting a home and will never stop but it doesn’t mean that demand remains strong. It means that demand remains in balance and normal. Strong demand was last few years when people were standing in lines and were camping out to buy homes and multiple offers with offering higher were all over. That kind of strong demand is not going to happen again.
Purchasing power- and that is what you are surmising will change. I do not think it will change that much. I do know that interest rates can go up and outlined one reason for that. BUT, if all these layoffs in construction hit home why isn't unemployment going up? Further, the revised GDP figures show a rapidly slowing overall economy if the trend holds, And, if that trend holds, you will not see short term rates change much to the upside. Add to that the ever declining US dollar that would cause rate increases now looks like it may only offset the slowing growth.

Further, even after how many rate increases (?) we still see the long term rates holding fairly steady. That is because Wall St. controls long term rates and not the Fed. Hence the inverted yield curves we have seen so frequently.
It all depends on the direction of both the long term and short-term interest rates but lets assume that both rates remain low as they are now. We still have those who bought homes with 100% or more financing last few years and they are 30-35% of last few years’ homebuyers. I am not worried about those who put 25%, 20%, 15% or even 10% down when they bought their homes because with that down payment, they sure have decent loan that doesn’t jump in few months or years. I see so many expensive homes with 1 million dollars or more sales price, which have 100% financing. If a person with no money in pocket can buy a million dollar home with 100% financing which has a starting rate at 4%, what would be the financial situation of that person when the rate is 8%?
The only way that these folks who bought those overpriced homes with 100% financing are going to be saved is the market increases at the rate of 20-25% per year again like last few years and you know that this is not going to happen
my part, everything looks just like I expected. A correction underway and my prognostication In the end, if what you all seek is to declare victory, just bloody well say so.
correction is another word for decline. When the market is overpriced, it will stop and react negatively and that is why the correction or decline follows. Real estate market never ever will be vanished or disappeared as long as people are there but it declines and gets correction when it needed. The decline or correction can be gradual or sudden. Market participants and the fed can manage the decline and correction by using the rate low or high. By keeping the interest rate low, they mange a gradual decline so there would not be a sudden shock to the economy. If the long-term rate was higher than what it is now, the decline or correction was very sudden ,quick and scary and every one is trying to avoid it.

Brad
I repeat my question.
If 1,000,000 houses sell a month for $200,000 each and 2 years later only 800,000 houses sell per month for $194,000, is that a 3% reduction in market or is it 22% reduction in total market activity??
parse that to the same level. If prices even ROSE by 2%....overall sales are down 20% or so nationally...the gross amount of dollars promised or exchanged has still fallen significantly. "correction" is a euphenism for saying, "i cannot say 'bubble'." The word just does not form in your mouth even if it does in your mind.

Terrel,

All I care about is the average selling prices so by your own numbers that would indidcate a 3% drop.

All the rest of the volume considerations will be reflected in the averge selling price and of course, it does assume a reasonable volume high enough so that measurements are meaningful.

Brad

Moh,

First, just because someone buys a million dollar home with no money down (80/20) that does not mean default will ensue. People with incomes high enough to afford such payments, at least for the most part, do tend to be dumb clucks. They know full well what a reset in rates will do and the overwhelming majority know how to handle that and do not default.

So feel free to worry for them. I do not since I know that most know exactly what they are doing. I think we must differentiate among the borrowers before tossing the baby out with the bath water.

I will shortly own a second home- part of my Father's estate. I'll keep it and rent it for at least a while. I'll be getting a 100% I/O loan on a 5/1 basis (interest rate will not reset for 5 years). Are you worried about me defaulting? Any idea of the financial wherewithal of all the exotics mortgagors? I have no idea and I'll suspect neither do you.

And yes, corrections and declines do and will happen. However, this string is about a bubble. For me the declines must be much much more steep and sustained for me to call it a bubble and I have said so repeatedly.

Brad

Home price declines like were seeing today have not happened since the 1930's.So do the math.All talk about only 5% down here and 1% up there means nothing.Forclosures will increase in 2007 at a pace that will give "Soft Landers" whiplash.The average homeowner is buried in the american dream
and is about to be sqaushed by the giant forclosure snow ball.If the feds lower rates next year it won't mean hill of beans , this party is over and we can look for plenty of REO Work becuause they need appraisals going up and appraisals going down.PS Just received eight new REO'S in one day.

Here is some added quotes from "Experts" , who pays these guys..

"In most of the cities and towns of this country, this Wall Street panic will have no effect."
- Paul Block, Block Newspapers, November 15, 1929

"The worst is behind us, as far as a market correction — this is likely the trough for sales" David Lereah, Oct. 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back